Scaling in paper space

raley123

Hi,

I am relatively new to CAD and trying to help my partner with electrical and mechanical drawings.

I am working from a drawing in model space (previously drawn by a client) and I have imported it into model space, working in 1:1.

I am now trying to view my work in paper space - the problem i am having is that i now need to scale this drawing. Most of the scales i will be working with are either A1 1:50 or A3 1:100.

I have read some previous posts and can see that i need to be amending the page setup on the layout tabs - if i select paper A1 and customise the scale to 0.02 (1:50), will that then automatically scale any viewport I insert into that layout?

Or do I need to still scale the viewport (as well as the page setup) that I insert and if so....can anyone assist with this and how to scale it so that the viewport doesnt look minute or massive?

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• raley123

• PotGuy

• Ski_Me

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The viewport needs to have a scale assigned to it. There are several ways to do this. How many of them do you know?

When it comes time to plot do so at a 1:1 scale since you will be plotting from a paper space layout.

Almost everything you need to know about viewports can be found in this write up...

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72972-Things-you-should-know-about-Viewports.&highlight=viewports

thank you very much - I will get reading this afternoon!

Do i need to still set a scale in the page setup of the layout if I'm scaling the viewport to A1/A3 etc?

I read one way on how to assign a scale to a viewport but when I tried it last night, the viewport then shrunk massively and I could hardly see the drawing on the layout. Do you have any other ways I could try?

from your screen shot, if I amended the paper to A1, do i still plot it to 1:1 and layout?

sorry for all questions!

You do not set a scale other than 1:1 in the page setup of your layout (see my previous post with image).

If the scale you assigned to the viewport made the model space objects appear very, very small then you obviously used the wrong scale. You should have then tried a different scale. For example, instead of using a scale of 1:200 you should have used a scale of 1:50.

thank you - his helps alot.

Can you advise me of another way to scale a viewport as the one I read was quite confusing.

from your screen shot, if I amended the paper to A1, do i still plot it to 1:1 and layout?

sorry for all questions!

Yes.

I hate to ask but did you make sure to use a metric template for your drawing?

i am guessing not as i am not sure how to do that... is there a way i can check that?

Type the following at the command line then press Enter. Include the dash too!

-DWGUNITS

At the text box that comes up on your screen look where it says Unit for length :

If there is a 3, 4, 5 or 6 then you used metric units (from mm to m). If there is a 1 or a 2 your drawing is in imperial units (either inches or feet).

thank you - his helps alot.

Can you advise me of another way to scale a viewport as the one I read was quite confusing.

Look at this thread about scaling viewports. There are a five options available. I have included images for four of the five options and a written explanation for the fifth. I don't recommend newcomers to AutoCAD using the last option (manual).

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72213-Viewports-and-Setting-Scale&highlight=viewports

Edited by ReMark
Added link to thread that was erroneously left out

thank you - i will check my drawing later (currently at work where i do not have cad on pc)

if it is metric, are you able to inform me on the best way to scale the viewport?

thank you - i will check my drawing later (currently at work where i do not have cad on pc)

if it is metric, are you able to inform me on the best way to scale the viewport?

Seems I forgot the link in post #11. Options for scaling viewports can be viewed here...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72213-Viewports-and-Setting-Scale&highlight=viewports

do you recommend adding the text in the viewport or is this ok to do in model space?

Text can be placed solely in model space or in paper space (layout) or even in both. Each method has its own pros and cons. I suggest you test each and then decide which works best for your particular situation.

We have older CAD drawings dating back to 1985 where everything was placed in model space because there was no paper space at the time. For the past several years we have switched to placing our text and dimensions in our layout except when it comes to single line schematics or isometric drawings.

In paperspace, use MVIEW to create a viewport.

Double click in the newly created view. If this has worked, you should NOT be able to see your crosshair go to the edge of the page; only the extent of thr view. Follow this up by typing in, for example 'z 1/50xp ' (Enter meaning hit Enter key, and without the commas)

I'm not sure if this is the method ReMark was refering to.

If this is not clearly explained, I'm happy to put up a picture by picture. :)

The method I would recommend is outlined in the link to the thread regarding things one should know about viewports. Did you read it?

I don't believe the OP was inquiring about how to create a viewport rather he was asking about how to apply a scale to a viewport and if a scale had to be set in the plot dialog box.

Yes, that (the "XP" option) is one of the five methods I covered in my explanation (separate thread) but I don't generally recommend it because the other four ways don't require much thought. Find the scale in the list and click on it. Done.