floor plans

paul1966

just having a go at my first project and hit a problem with floor plans,its a retail building with a mezzanine floor. i have created hvac floor plans for ground, mezz and ceiling height. i have the lights and floor detail showing on the ground and mezz plans and on ceiling there are just the lights showing.on the mezz floor plan i started putting some diffusers and duct down and looking in section they were at the wrong height, i altered the height to ceiling height and they dissapeered off the floor plan and appeared in the ceiling plan which i can understand, but the ceiling plan does not show any detail except the lights. so do i need to look at visability graphics and see if i can enable more detail on the ceiling plan or is there another way to do it. or am i way off the mark?

It sounds like the view range of the floor plan needs to be adjusted to be high enough to see the ductwork. Ducts are not normally shown on RCP but diffusers are.

To build on top of Rob's assistance, Reflected Ceiling Plans and Floor Plans are two different animals in Revit. For one, Revit treats RCP Views as if you're standing on the floor looking up. So your duct will look like it's "beneath" lights, ceiling, etc when it should show on top. Also, the View Range is opposite.

RCP does make the arch background look better for MEP purposes, but they're a pain when using them for HVAC and Piping layouts. Stick with Floor Plans and adjust the architectural via the V/G (along with View Templates) is the best advice I can give you.

ok i sorted the veiw range so i can now see the duct, for the air terminals am i right that they should be hosted to the ceiling level? i have put some non hosted on the mezz level with an offset to the ceiling height, is that bad practice? i know there would be a problem should the ceiling height change but that is very unlikely due to the time scale as the revit drawings have been out sourced to india.