Annotation scale - what am I doing wrong here?

Hi everyone,

I've read through a few tutorials, and watched a few different videos, but I still seem to be getting something wrong!

For example, I'm currently working on a drawing that has three different viewports with the scales of 1-250, 1-500 & 1-1000. I would like the text I've created in model space, to display at the same size (2.2mm) in all of these different viewports.

I'm using metric, and 1 unit in AutoCAD = 1m. I know that most people use 1 unit in AutoCAD = 1mm, but in my profession (working on large architectural site surveys) 1 unit in AutoCAD = 1m is the norm.

So the viewports are set at 4:1 for 1-250, 2:1 for 1-500 & 1:1 for 1-1000. I've set the text to be annotative, and to have the same scales. The annotation scale is currently set at 2:1 in model space.

Firstly, I don't really understand why and when I'd need to change the annotation scale in model space? I've adjusted it in the past to make sure that lintypes display the same in both model space and within viewports. Is it the same thing?

Secondly, by doing the above, all that I've achieved is that currently in model space the text is 1.1m high (which is what I want, and how I'd originally created it). In the viewports it is now coming out at 8.8mm for 1-250 (4 x too big), 4.4mm for 1-500 (2 x too big), and 2.2mm for 1-1000 (the correct size).

When I activate the viewports, it tells me that "annotation scale is not equal to viewport scale" in all but the 1-1000 viewport.

How can I make the text 2.2mm in all of the viewports? Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

Many thanks,

Alex

The annotation scale needs to be set for each viewport so that it matches. Do this by selecting the viewport and change it in the properties box.

While in PS make one of your viewports active, use the cannoscale pull down list (lower right) and pick the proper scale. Even if it looks like the correct scale is displayed pick it again.

I you want uniform text with out the trouble of trying to figure out the scale for each sheet then type you text in paper space that way no matter what you do the text size will always be the same. Of course if you move something in model space you text might be in the way.

Thank you very much for your replies. rkent, you were right! Even though I had the correct scale selected in the viewports, I had to change the scale to a random one, and then back to the right one. This somehow seemed to refresh AutoCAD and got it to show the text at the correct size. I had a feeling it was something as simple as that!

Thanks,

Alex