is it possible to place a sleeve over a round tube for a moving part?

trussman

I am wanting to know if it is possible using inventor 2013 and how to create 2 parts that sleeve together and be able to be moving parts through inventor?

Like I want to have per say one round tube straight and have several sections of another round tube with the inside dimensions to match the outside dimensions of the first tube placed in different locations along the first tube and for it to be a moving part through inventor is this possible and how can I do this

I am presuming that they would have to be separate parts that are assembled and I was wanting to use the frame generator for those parts also can someone help?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trussman

• JD Mather

• TenSecond408

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

excelent now how to do it lolis there a simple tut I can follow and I mean my type of simple lol as you know

Im not an expert at with Inventor, but what your trying to do it fairly simple (the way I would do it atleast)

The way i would do it:

1: Create new part, draw your main tube that will be sliding inside the sleeves, save part

2: Create new part, now draw your sleeves, with the ID matching the OD of the main tube, save part

3: Create an assembly

4: Place main tube into the assembly

5: Place sleeves into assembly

6: make a constraint: "mate" and use the concentric axis of both the main tube and the sleeves (this will constrain the tube and the sleeves to the same center axis)

7: make a constraint for each sleeve: "mate" select the face of the first sleeve and the face of the 2nd sleeve ( this will constrain the sleeve face to the sleeve face) then you can apply offsets to space each sleeve apart from each other accordingly

Hope this helps

AJ Newman

Ok will this work with frame generator?

Like I have 2 different skeleton parts on is for the main tube frame and the other if for the sleeve frame as there are more than just the main tube and the sleeve tube thats attached to them using sketch skeleton method.

When you say "mate" I can only find imate in the ribbon where exactly is mate if you dont mean imate?

Frame generated parts are grounded by default.

Attach your assembly here.

Forget iMate - that is not what it is for.

On the Position tab select Constrain for assembly constraints (including Mate).

But as I stated - Frame Generator parts are grounded, so this will require a slightly different technique.

An assembly file (*.iam) is worthless without part files (*.ipt).

And iam file is nothing more than a list of hyperlinks to the part files and a record of assembly constraints.

The only thing in your zip file is the iam file.

You have placed both skeletons into the same assembly. Don't do this.

In the real world each would be a sub-assembly assembled into main assembly. Do the same thing in Inventor.

So

Create the ladder truss as one assembly.

Create the sleeved ladder truss as another assembly.

These will both be sub-assemblies.

Start a new assembly file and

place the ladder truss sub-assembly.

place the sleeved ladder truss sub-assembly.

Mate Axis to axis (looks like twice).

I think you will then need to add a Mate to limit the range of motion (expand the Mate constraint dialog), but not sure where you are going with this.

I will try to post an example tomorrow.

OK thanks for that help I am intending on creating a collapsible triangle truss I will try out the method you mentioned here

OK I have managed the first constraint but I see now I need to adjust some parts of the skeletal model sleeved so that the parts all fit correctly I have attempted this already but cant seam to unconstrained it to make the appropriate changes I supose though I could just start again though

It sounds to me like you need to open the skeleton for the sub assembly and edit as needed.

All will update.

Yeah I worked that out its just figuring out what all I can do with inventor and what I cant do is my problem lol

OK you mentioned a constrain for limited motion I presume using the motion tab in the constraint dialog

I see you mentioned expanding the dialog and I did I see there is a minimum and a maximum limits there do I enter in degrees to those and I also see the limits entry boxes grey out on me when I go to the motion tab in the dialog box.

I don't think you need the Motion tab for this design.

A simple Mate.

You can set min position, max position and resting position (offset distances).

Min position is often the resting position.

OK So moving on and I do apologize again for my constant questions on each and every step along this path and I thank you for being so helpful and patient.

Is there away for me to make a sort of blue print from this?

with weld placement and stuff

If you want welds you should see a Convert to Weldment on your Ribbon.

From there you will have to figure out the tools.

For drawing

start a new *.idw (Inventor Drawing) or *.dwg.

Place Base View selecting your assembly file.

Place projeced 2d views from the base view.

Dimension on the Annotation tab.