Publishing to PDF issue

SAFeSTeR

Hi,

I seem to be having an issue publishing multiple layouts into a single PDF.

All the layouts are setup to plot to 'Adobe PDF' and in the Publish options I have set 'Publish to: Plotter named in page setup' as well as 'Multi-sheet file'. When I click OK I'm prompted for the filename for each layout and have to save them as separate files.

The only time it does work is when I choose 'Publish to: PDF' which I guess uses AutoCAD's internal 'DWG to PDF' method.

Is my preferred method an Adobe issue or is it fixable through AutoCAD?

Seems to be the way it works, Publish still creates multiple PDFs if DWG to PDF is the plotter in Page Setup.

I believe you can do this using Sheet Set Manager and 'Publish to: Plotter named in page setup' to a single file.

What's wrong with the DWG to PDF.pc3?

Thanks for the reply. I do not know anything about Sheet Set Manager, so I'll have to look into that.

It seems any combination which uses a type of 'PDF' as plot device AND selecting 'Publish to: Plotter named in page setup' results in single sheet files. I assume 'DWG to PDF' would be the same plot device used in the 'Publish to: PDF' setting, so it's strange these produce different reults. I guess my assumption is wrong.

As for 'DWG to PDF', there's nothing wrong with it, but as explained above, it doesn't work as I want when publishing layouts. I have Adobe installed on a rolling month by month basis and I would prefer to use this application purely to enhance the justification of it's use to the company bean counters.

You stated above 'Publish to: PDF' was working. To create a Single PDF with multiple sheets you need to select "Single Sheet File".

As I stated, look into Sheet Set Manager

You stated above 'Publish to: PDF' was working. To create a Single PDF with multiple sheets you need to select 'Single Sheet File'.

As I previously mentioned, 'Publish to: PDF' is not my preferred method, and selecting 'Single Sheet File' results in separate PDF's for each layout.

I've had a quick look at sheet sets and it seems to be about grouping separate drawings into one project. Probably not what I need for this task.

I have 100+ drawings with anything between 1 - 7 layouts. Each drawing needs it's own PDF containing all of its layouts.

If you have Adobe standard you can plot your layouts, then combine all your sheets into 1 pdf file it's really easy.

Yeah I know about this, but it really is not ideal timewise and I often get errors with this from PDF's created in AutoCAD.

Thanks for the help anyway, I'll just use the standard 'Publish to: PDF' method and will have to justify my Adobe install some other time.

It's just the nature of the beast. You are choosing to use the page setups on the tabs which is a single sheet. In order for the PDF settings within publisher to be active you need to turn on plotting to PDF in publisher. Unless you do that, publisher doesn't know if your page setups are plotting to paper, PDF, or ducks.

Edited by RobDraw

• 3 weeks later...
As I previously mentioned, 'Publish to: PDF' is not my preferred method, and selecting 'Single Sheet File' results in separate PDF's for each layout.

Yeah, 'multi-sheet file' is actually the correct choice. ...You can tell (without printing first) because it allows you the 'promt for name' choice, which isn't allowed when every sheet is its own file because in that case it just uses each sheet's existing name.

Nevertheless, I always just publish to DWG, per AutoCAD's built-in functionality. I haven't looked into anything more than that.

I have used PDFfactoryPRO print driver for years. Easy and it works. I don't use sheet sets in my AutoCAD though

• 2 months later...

Can anybody help me. I need to plot multiple tabs to pdf. I am using the "publish" command and it works fine, however I need the plot properties to be "black and white" and 300 dpi.

How can I do this using the publish commend.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure as I have not used the publish command for some time.

I think you will need to setup each layout with the properties you require before issuing the publish command. Depending on the number of layouts, this can be quite time consuming, why there isn't an 'override' function within 'Publish' is beyond me.

Hope this helps.

Having proper page setups in your files is important and should be a part of any good template. I keep three in mine; one for full size, one for half size, and one for PDF.

That being said, there is a way to override the page setup in publisher. You only need the correct page setup in one file. It can then be imported and applied to all of the files. Using the "Page Setup" column in publisher.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to publish a group of sheets to a single PDF file, you have to use "Publish to Page Setup Override."

What I do is to create a blank drawing file with a unique, named, page set up that that plots to PDFs with the parameters I need.

I save this file in the same folder as the drawings, then in the sheet set properties manager, I set that file as the page setup override file..

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure as I have not used the publish command for some time.

I think you will need to setup each layout with the properties you require before issuing the publish command. Depending on the number of layouts, this can be quite time consuming, why there isn't an 'override' function within 'Publish' is beyond me.

Hope this helps.

There is in the sheet set manager.