Classic or Ribbon workspace

tonyj

Has the question ever been asked on Cadtutor 'what workspace it is that the members prefer to use' is it the classic workspace, or, the ribbon workspace that they prefer? For me it is the classic workspace and couldn't ever imagine using the ribbon workspace. Would be interesting to find out what others think though.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• dbroada

• ReMark

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might as well get use to the Ribbon

or

plan on retiring soon

or

purchase several old machines for backup in case your machine dies and hope that you will still be able to re-activate license if it does.

1+ ... Getting used to the Ribbon; it's not going anywhere, and all plug-ins submitted to Autodesk Exchange Apps store require Ribbon component(s) as partial CUIx minimum.

As for has this been asked before... Scroll down, see similar threads to start. :thumbsup:

Using the ribbon is the way to go. It's not really any different to tool bars, all the buttons on the tool bars are on the ribbon. You just have to learn where they all are. Creating new tabs, panels and buttons is easy using the CUI. You can group all the commands that you use on a regular basis together on a new tab, which means you do not have to change tabs, well at least not very often.

If you are not wanting to keep up with the times, perhaps you should consider going back to the drawing board, or even drawing in the sand, then you have no problems finding the buttons.

If you insist on hanging onto the past then why bother running a 2011 version?

Ribbon....it's here to stay. Classic? I could see AutoDesk canning this feature at some point.

I'm not really liking the ribbon but I only use the ribbon or toolbar occassionaly - I still prefer to use the keyboard. If that disappears I WILL retire soon.

The problem I have with the ribbon is the way it seems to reconfigure itself. I get used to where things are one day and they are not there the next.

The problem I have with the ribbon is the way it seems to reconfigure itself. I get used to where things are one day and they are not there the next.

Would this not point to a problematic install? I haven't witnessed this type of behavior so it would be interesting if you could elaborate a bit more on exactly what is happening. You're not using a customized Ribbon are you?

as I implied, I use it rarely, by next day I probably mean next week.

I use the standard as installed remotely "ACADE & 2D draughting" workspace. Sometimes I can find things quickly, other days not. At least the keys on my keyboard are usually where I left them.

Then it really is more a matter of unfamiliarity than objects on the Ribbon shifting position for an unexplained reason. OK...now I understand.

I prefer the classic interface over the ribbon. I use primarily keyboard commands so I only have one bar on my screen with those commands I use often enough to put there, but not often enough to fill my key bindings. I find the ribbon wither takes up to much room on my screen or takes a lot longer to navigate when it is minimized. Although, there are other programs where I prefer the ribbon style (Inventor, Word, Excel) just not with AutoCAD specifically.

I have gotten used to the ribbon but I hate that it's default view (yes, I know you can collapse it) takes up so much more screen space and decreases my drawing area.

acad-comp.jpg

I have gotten used to the ribbon but I hate that it's default view (yes, I know you can collapse it) takes up so much more screen space and decreases my drawing area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40953[/ATTACH]

The ribbon is dockable and if you have a wide format monitor you can dock on the side to get a better shaped graphich area. If you use two screens dock it on the side next to the other screen and with the properties palette and other windows on the second screen you can cut down on your mouse travel and increase your productivity.

Ribbon_side.jpg

If you hide your menu bar and remove the tool bars you get even more real estate in your graphics area.

Yeah, I know it's dock-able I was just pointing out that in it initial (default) stage it takes up more room than the initial toolbars did. I also know that you can pretty much run in a full screen mode as well. I also agree with what another poster said that there seems to be a lag when you minimize the ribbon.

In r2008 I used to run my dashboard and prop palette on my second monitor. I liked the dashboard, a short-lived but nice addition to AutoCAD.

Ok, I missed your point, sorry. I agree with you that there is often a lag with the ribbon, especially when you first click on the big red A button in the top left corner. One of my guys runs the menu bar just to get rid of the lags, it is genuinely much faster.

Ok, I missed your point, sorry. I agree with you that there is often a lag with the ribbon, especially when you first click on the big red A button in the top left corner. One of my guys runs the menu bar just to get rid of the lags, it is genuinely much faster.

Oh it's cool. ;)

I do agree that a classic approach with minimal toolbars with keyboard entry is a much faster way of working. Just getting used to using the ribbon. I guess I gave up fighting it :(

Oh it's cool. ;)

I do agree that a classic approach with minimal toolbars with keyboard entry is a much faster way of working. Just getting used to using the ribbon. I guess I gave up fighting it :(

pretty much where I am too.

I was the biggest bigot towards the Ribbon when it first appeared. I finally humbled myself to use it and have been for awhile now and now I love it. However, I have customized it pretty heavily so that the items I need are organized to fit my own personal needs.

Always using AutoCAD MEP finally made me make the switch. No more Toolbar support in AMEP. I've found that while the Ribbon still isn't the most intuitive interface, it's much more powerful than static Toolbars.

To the issue of the lag... Methinks this is (in part) the result of components first-run, or being demand loaded.

Most of the ADN, DevBlog, Through The Interface, and even Exchange material I've come across suggest demand loading where possible... Including GUI components such as CUI components, menus, palette sets, and even contextual menus... Contextual Ribbon Tabs are the same way.

I do notice a lag when I first select an Alignment, Surface, Profile or Section View (I work in Civil 3D), but the same holds true for editing MText, etc.... That first time seems to lag quite a bit, and then it (my session) is much faster thereafter.

Now there is something to be said for how many items you have open... Properties, Toolspace (in my case), Layer Manager, etc.... as anything that displays Drawing specific data will take up resources to keep up-to-date for sure. My $0.02.