Compressing A Box

Barney91

Im trying to create an animation of a box being compressed and uncompressed between two other boxes (the blue box being compressed by the yellow box moving towards the green box and back).

3DS Max Problem.JPG

I've tried to use the cloth modifier to simulate it but as the box is floating in the air, as soon as I run the simulation it falls down. When I turn gravity off it just flys through the green box (despite being a collision object).

So I guess what I'm asking is how do I 'glue' the intersecting faces of the blue and green boxes, and the intersecting faces of the blue and the yellow boxes so that the blue box is fixed in place but is compressed and uncompressed with the movement of the yellow box. And is the cloth modifier the best way to go about this animation?

I can't find any tutorials to help me on this one but maybe I'm searching the wrong terms?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sorry I forgot to mention, the reason that I have been trying to use the cloth modifier is because I want the top surface to wrinkle upon compression and smooth out on decompression.

No need to get snippy. Nobody here does animation, so the fact that no one replied simply means no one knows the answer. I would recommend searching online for tutorials or post your question over at The Area or find another dedicated Studio Max forum where animators hang out. That's about the best I can do for you.

I just naively assumed that someone (out of nearly 100 people) would have been courteous enough to mention that before now; after me getting "snippy".

Thanks for letting me know.

Oh really....

using the cloth modifier i would create a gravity force and set its strenght to 0 so the cloth doesn't fall or rise

next i would try modifying the pressure value this will make the object act like a balloon as long as it is sealed if it is not sealed it will only deflate.

also instead of using the cloth modifier consider the squeeze modifier.