Cannot add dimensions on the z-axis

Geir

Hi!

I'm currently making some drawings of a piping system for an oil rigg process system I made in Inventor. I was now supposed to draw an Isometric drawing of some pipes, but i don't think i knew what isometric meant so i made it in 3D. So i made a full xyz 3d drawing instead of drawing 3d on an xy axis. Still, i don't think there will be problems because i'm only supposed to take pictures of this and add it to a repport.

I'm a student and this is my first time on Autocad.

The problem i have is adding dimensions to the lines on the z-axis, they keeb gluing to the xy-axis. It's probably a stupid question, but I just can't seem figure it out. I added a picture of it. Now if i made an ISOmetric drawing i would not have had this problem, hope i don't have to start again.

Help will be very appreciated.

Geir.

piping.jpg

It helps if your UCS is oriented correctly.

You do know you can extract 2D views of 3D objects don't you? Those can be dimensioned just like a normal 2D drawing.

You do know you can extract 2D views of 3D objects don't you? Those can be dimensioned just like a normal 2D drawing.

Yes and thanks for confirming that, i got very confused when everybody else made it only on the xy-axis. I didn't understand why, but i don't think it matters.

My mistake. I thought you did a full 3D piping layout but as you obviously mentioned it was only an isometric (one line) piping schematic.

The advice re: UCS reorienting still stands however.

Strange...your image did not appear on my screen when I first read your post but now it does.

My mistake. I thought you did a full 3D piping layout but as you obviously mentioned it was only an isometric (one line) piping schematic.

The advice re: UCS reorienting still stands however.

Strange...your image did not appear on my screen when I first read your post but now it does.

I know, sorry about that. I meant to add that picture, but forgot.

Working on the UCS. Not very good at this yet, but reading about it now so will update when i get it fixed. Thanks again.

Haha, ok, got it working. I set the UCS to world and just grabbed it to where i wanted to work. So now i can understand why it's kinda easier to just draw it in the xy-axis. Thanks for the tip ReMark!