Smooth DWG mesh in 3DSmax

Pacificador

Hello!

I would want to import a DWG file into 3DSmax but I don't find the correct settings in Max to import the DWG... I have tried almost of combination of options, but there is always lot of polygons.

And have seen this thread and the other two inside: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?28389-How-to-make-a-curved-3d-object-smooth

Could you help me please?

Thank you!!

What do you mean by "lot of polygons"?

Can you post a screen shot of your model after importing into Studio Max?

Off course, sorry!

XmX8dpo.png

I have tried to attach the DWG file too (Acad 2012), but it's a little bigger than 1mb and the forum doesn't allow to upload .rar files:(

Thank you!

I usually build my terrain models manually. I import the CAD contour lines and then build the surface accordingly. Sure it takes some time, but at least I can keep my polygon count pretty low, and I can create ideal edge flow for smoothing. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I don't really have an answer. I've found that when you import CAD models you basically get what you get. You don't really have a lot of control over the imported mesh.

Thank you Cad64,

Do you know a proccess to import the terrain lines I have in ACAD (with different Z axis position) into 3DSmax and make an "automatic" terrain? Like the command coverage (Covertura in Spanish) of ACAD Architecture 2012.

Thanks!

Do you know a proccess to import the terrain lines I have in ACAD (with different Z axis position) into 3DSmax and make an "automatic" terrain? Like the command coverage (Covertura in Spanish) of ACAD Architecture 2012.

Yes, you can use the Terrain compound object. But be aware that it may generate even more polygons than your imported CAD model.

Here is a tutorial: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-DD179DF1-D38A-4AD9-A2C1-5B68A6718E48.htm,topicNumber=d30e48532

It's working great! In 3DSmax it seems it works better with lot of polygons.

I have tried to export to DWG, only for testing, and there is the same problem; the smooth Max mesh it's rough in ACAD, and viceversa. I think it should optimise their compatibility, being both Autodesk's products...

Thank you Cad64!

• 1 year later...

Hi, first of all, sorry for my english. Second, I'm new to 3DS Max and still learning the basics.

I have the same problem. I've tried to smooth a dxf in 3DS Max with no results. i think the problem comes from the import settings in 3DS max.

I've attached the dxf.

My question is: do I have to use particular settings when I import the dxf in 3DS max?

What type of smooth modifier should I use (meshsmooth, smooth, etc.

Thank for your help!

TREO_2.0_of_'TREO_(Linear_Isotropic)'.dxf

When you imported the dxf, did you choose to "Weld Nearby Vertices"? If you don't enable that option, the dxf will import with all polygon faces being individual pieces. You can't smooth an object if the vertices are not welded.