3D printing

Ski_Me

3D printing is going to be the new thing in a few months and I think it's going to around for awhile. Has anyone here designed for a 3D print or thinking of designing an object for a 3D print?

Thanks for sharing, JD. Collaboratory is a new word for me. I haven't read the entire diss yet, though; just sections. I wonder how much longer it will take for 3D printing to become widespread.

Ski, are you thinking of getting a 3D printer, or just having something printed, or what?

It's already widespread.
OK. I guess it depends on your def, e.g., a printer at every company that uses CAD, a printer in every office, a printer on every desk, everybody and his brother owns one, etc. As far as I know, none of these are yet applicable, so what is your def here? Just how widespread is it these days? How many do you have at your office(s) and how many get to use it/them? It's an open question for anyone to remark here, not just ReMark. Of course, for me, it ain't gonna be widespread enough until I have direct access!;) Edited by neophoible

Take a look at the magazine Desktop Engineering and you will see how widespread they are. Our local Sir Speedy print shop has three. I know one of the state colleges, located in the city where I live, have several and two of our engineers (who are hobbyists) have 3D printers. Heck, I read recently that one of the Staples stores in our immediate area (Hartford county) is going to be offering 3D printing on a while-you-wait basis. Come out of your cave once in a while.

3D printing options are also available via a service provider such as...

3D System's' QuickParts

3Dproparts

Stratasys' Redeye On Demand

Solid Concepts' ZoomRP

It's only been within the last few years that 3D printing has been a available to the masses at a price point that's affordable. But I think building a 3D printer from parts that you can buy is very doable, but the main point of my question how good is autocad in 3D printing?

At last look I saw a do-it-yourself kit for $199.00 if I am not mistaken.

I cannot answer your question about how good AutoCAD would be for 3D printing.

Start with this from AutoCAD 2010...

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS73099cc142f48755-1257e12111bf108800e41f3.htm,topicNumber=d0e147723

Follow that up with an online search using the following...

"autocad"+"3d printing"

That should give you some information.

Well, it's still hibernation time for me.:oops:;) But that's not the prob. We print & plot 2D all the time, even in color, as do a lot of folks. We have lots of 2D printers and plotters. They're ubiquitous. No traveling to the local university (to watch it? or watch students/professors do it?), or sending out to a print shop that serves thousands of customers (would three really be enough if that were the case?). Your description does not even come close to what I would call widespread. It's only descriptive of still emerging... from others' caves. If I have to go to someone else's cave to get it done, that's not nearly good enough to be widespread, yet. I'd love to be able to print a prototype on my desk in my own cave, or at least in our department's cave, before sending it to the shop to have it made for real. But, of course, I'm thrilled to see 3D printing emerging and glad that at least a few folks are able to enjoy it already. I'll be even more thrilled to see it become widespread, by my definition. I'm sure that as it catches on, prices will drop, and then it really will become widespread; it may not be that far away, but it ain't yet, at least not anywhere around my cave.:)

There are several low cost (less than $500) 3D printers available. Buy one. Or buy the makings of one in kit form and build it yourself at a reduced cost.

Quick search on "NYC"+"3D printing" pulled up this little nugget. Walk into a store with your idea and walk out with a 3D model.

"A new pop-up 3D printing emporium in New York City's fashion district called 3DEA is giving visitors a glimpse into that future."

Or visit the MakerBot retail store at.....

http://www.makerbot.com/retail-store/

How about Shapeways?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/18/shapeways-opens-doors-to-its-nyc-3d-printing-distribution-center/

I guess waiting one day is still a bit slow? I bet you waited longer for your last purchase on eBay or Amazon.

Austin-based 3D printing company Solid Prototype is now the first in the industry to offer next-day service, allowing anyone to take an idea from their mind and place it in their hands within a single day.

I've heard of makerbot but not the other living in the Midwest we have to wait it seems years till something like this opens here. I can see something like build-a-bear with birthdays and stuff could be fun.

For the tinkerer, hobbyist, inventor or the guy who broke a plastic part on his 1985 Honda Nighthawk S a 3D printer would be the ideal birthday gift don't you think?

... the main point of my question how good is autocad in 3D printing?

Sorry your question got sidetracked. I don't know the answer, but surely someone must, as widespread as this already is!

JD may be able to answer this, but he seems to lean very heavily toward Inventor, no doubt with good reason.

For the tinkerer, hobbyist, inventor or the guy who broke a plastic part on his 1985 Honda Nighthawk S a 3D printer would be the ideal birthday gift don't you think?

Haha now the real reason your all over this thread is out ReMark (oh it took me this long to figure out your name) maybe if you didn't crash it you wouldn't have to fix it.

Haven't crashed yet but one never knows.

Yes, I have a part on my motorcycle that I'd like to replace. The front signal lights are mounted on rubber stalks to the downtubes. Actually they slide over the tubes but the front end has to be removed. I want to redesign them, in plastic, so they bolt on instead. The rubber replacement parts aren't cheap either.