Datalink: Excel not installed properly

So I just started at a new firm and they are using datalinks for the attic vent calculations. The table is in Excel and once filled out it should populate in the drawing. My CPU was an old employee's so it isn't new installed software but my datalink button says that Excel is not installed properly and will not let me edit the datalink in Autocad. I can however open the Excel file from the reference manager just fine and it opens. I have tried hard pathing and softpathing with no luck. Other people can insert it for me which they did in one file but I want to be operating at 100% like they are. Any ideas?

Did you try reinstall of Excel?

What version of Excel are you using? What version of AutoCAD are you using? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Not yet because I was looking to see if there was a non-nuclear approach first. if it comes down to that I will but I wanted to make sure this was a program specific error and not a computer error since the program does open from the reference manager.

*UPDATE*

If the table was inserted by one of the other employees I can go in an insert the table again and it works. I just for some reason can't be the originator or the table insert it seems.