Solidworks Help with threads

Holewizard88

Welcome to the forum, it would be good if you said what help you need and what version of Solidworks you are using. As a title I would suggested you use something more in line to the question you are asking?

Thanks for replying! Well I have solidworks 2006 I believe and I am making a shackle. A shackle as in part of a mooring system! I have gotten pretty far but need to thread a hole for a pin. Any help would be appreciated

Post some images and some details on the threads. You could post what you have so far.

Most times you use Cosmetic Threads, does 2006 have a Hole Wizard? For real threads, you will need to Helical Sweep and Cut.

Check on here for JD Mather's signature, there is a link to some tutorials for Solidworks.

I only have 2010 and been a while seen I used it, hopefully I helped you a little.

Do you want costmetic threads or real modeled threads.

If real modeled threads - explain why.

Once these questions are answered I can explain the solution(s).

Solidworks 2006 does have Hole Wizard, and does have a cut thread option, but I am not familiar on how to use it. I can make a bolt, for example, with external threads with the helix spiral and then sweeping with triangle. I cannot, however, make internal threads. I'm not sure what cosmetic threads are used for? I am modeling this shackle to be cut out so maybe real modeled threads? Not sure. I appreciate the help!

Solidworks 2006 does have Hole Wizard, and does have a cut thread option, but I am not familiar on how to use it.

I have never seen this tool, can you attach a screen shot?

(I assume you are not referring to Sweep-Cut along a Helix curve.)

I was confused and I realized it was just the cosmetic thread option. When using cosmetic threads, can i make actual threads appear instead of just seeing the dotted line? Also I just got solidworks 2010.