Help with line weight

sparkyuk

Hi guys as you know i do not draw from new I only amend so i could do with some help with this little problem.

I need to draw a dado trunking around a room, now if i select a dashed line and draw it, it shows up as a solid line as sample drawing attached, now what i want it like the line in the top of the drawing green and large and dashed, i got that from another drawing sent to me but other then taking it from one drawing to another I cant figure how to do it please explain what I am doing wrong :oops:

Drawing1.dwg

a few things. Highlight your line and check the properties. It is colour "byLayer" and linetype "byLayer" - both correct. Now check the Layer, E620G..." which has colour = "Green" (confirmed by sight) and a continuous Linetype, again confirmed by observation.

Now check the other line's properties. first thing to notice is that it is a polyline, not a line. Lines have 0 width, polylines can have a width - this one is 50 units wide. Next it has its linetype set in properties and is no longer "ByLayer". This works but is not necessarily the best way to work. Far better to keep everything ByLayer and create layers to do the hard work.

What you need to do is change the line to a polyline (PEDIT) or draw a new polyline from scratch before looking at the rest.

My main tip - keep your Properties palette available at all times. It is your friend. Mine is docked|auto hide on the RH side of my screen.

Edited by dbroada
PEDIT added

I've not checked out your drawing but it sounds like LTSCALE is set wrongly for your model space.

Try zooming right out and drawing your line again and see if it looks dashed, if it does reduce your LTSCALE value because you are only seeing one of the dashes. If that doesnt work try zooming right in on the start of the line to see if the dashed line can be seen then. If so increase your LTSCALE value because the line is far too dense.

The top line in the attached drawing is a Pline with global width set to 50 and line type is not by layer, it has been changed to Dashed2

Easiest way for you to do it is to draw pline and use matchprop and select the top line first and then your new lines

and hit regen often. sometimes lines need it to show correctly.....you may think it's wrong but it may just need a regen

Thanks dbroda.

you the man m8 works a treat, I see now how its was done and it easy to do. I assume i just cant select a line that will draw it as i want without altering the properties for each line after being drawn is there ?

And thanks to you other guys for the advice as well

Regards

Bryan

I gave you a way of modifying the properties of something already drawn.

A far better way (although I do it as above) is to set up your layers first with colours and linetypes associated with each layer. A typical layer lable is shown here...

Layers.jpg

You can see each has a colour and linetype assigned. You can also see that I have layer 0 as my current layer (it is ticked). If I was to set CL as my current layer I could draw a line (and providing you still have Colour byLayer & linetype byLayer active) and it would be drawn with the centre line linetype and it will be yellow.

Just remember that with AutoCAD there are many ways to achieve the same result. Check your company standards to ensure they are happy with the way you are working. There are good reasons to not use "ByLayer" but more often it is changed through ignorance.

Thanks Dave,

I understand the concept of what you have said, but how would I insert a polyline into the layer ? as it only has linetype and lineweight from what i see in your picture?

Regards

Bryan

Many ways....

you can set the layer you want as current and draw it directly on that layer

you can change it with the properties palette

if there is already an object similar you can use the MATCHPROP command

and several more that I can't currently think of.

As I said, I have my properties palette constantly available, it is incredibly versitile.

The other thing to look at often is the F1 help. It doesn't always help but it helps often enough to make it worth checking.

and of course, this forum. :thumbsup:

Ok so i still need to modify the line with properties to get it to look as per my sample got it thanks for your help m8

Regards

Bryan