AutoCad Plant 3d Structural Detailing - Brace Connections

Gideon

030613-mm-02.jpgHas anyone had any experience with brace connections (gusset plates) in ASD yet?

The connections that are circled on the attachment I built and did not auto create in the program.

I'm wondering if it is the fact that the brace material is a WT? The brace on the upper left I was able to use the program to install the member and connections, however it would not accept a WT member. (I deleted and replaced with WT per design.)

Just got the new Plant Design Suite at the office, and am enjoying it quite a bit more than Bentley AutoPlant, though Bentley would have handled this brace issue. :(

It is not too time consuming for me to build these connections, a couple of minutes perhaps, but if I could get the program to do it, that would be faster still!

No sir, WT6x13.

I am thinking that ASD just does not recognize these as a viable brace member. Shame, we use them a lot in our area. :(

Up here were primarily use square or rectangular tube for those types of braces.

Structurally speaking we would love to use tube steel. But most of our clients do not like it, as we are on the coast, they fear corrosion inside the tube where it can go un-noticed. As hard to believe as it is, not all of our clients galvanize steel, instead relying on paint to protect from the elements.

Yes, that can be a problem if the tube ends are sealed. We slot our tubes to fit over the plate and through bolt them. We leave the ends open for air flow. No failures so far.