World Machine 2.3 Getting closer to final completion

Danny

I may have to check this out, now that it can import CAD elevation contours. :)

You can now import DXF polylines with elevations!

A long requested feature, your Layout Generators can now import spline and line shapes with elevations from your favorite 3D software into World Machine. This makes it easy to imprint your terrain with geometry that you've already laid out instead of having to replicate it inside of World Machine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Is anybody using this program? I just downloaded the free basic version, 2.3.6 build, but I cannot figure out how to import .dxf files? I wanted to try it out before I plunk down any money, but it is not inherently obvious how to get my .dxf file into the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is anybody using this program? I just downloaded the free basic version, 2.3.6 build, but I cannot figure out how to import .dxf files? I wanted to try it out before I plunk down any money, but it is not inherently obvious how to get my .dxf file into the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Directly this will not, Morld Machine works with Height maps which only as one height value for a specific point. What I would suggest is exporting your dxf data into PH or Sketch up if possible, There many applications that will do this. Set up the camera up for a plan view (Ortho) and export white-to-black gradient. Save to a tiff, tga raw etc. Than import that into WM Generator tab--> File import--> Load file. Than plug that node into erosion or what ever you would like to do with it. Any resolution that might be lost can easily be added once in WM

Hmmmmm, I guess I misunderstood. On the website it states that:

You can now import DXF polylines with elevations!

A long requested feature, your Layout Generators can now import spline and line shapes with elevations from your favorite 3D software into World Machine.

And at the world machine forum I found a discussion about problems when importing dxf files, and a supposed fix implemented in build 2.3.1, but no mention of how to import them: http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=2154.0

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just keep creating my terrain the old fashioned way. :(

Hmmmmm, I guess I misunderstood. On the website it states that:

And at the world machine forum I found a discussion about problems when importing dxf files, and a supposed fix implemented in build 2.3.1, but no mention of how to import them: http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=2154.0

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just keep creating my terrain the old fashioned way. :(

Ok not knowing how you intend to use this, theres no way of loading a dxf mesh in WM. There is a way to use dxf through the layout generator. Not sure what the benefit is because you can do this within WM with the Lines command, but for scaling purposes between applications this would come in handy. Good luck with your project

dxf load.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check into this.

I'm not looking to import a dxf mesh. I just want to be able to import a dxf containing elevated polyline contours that I get from the civil engineer and then use World Machine to generate the terrain. What I typically do is bring my contour lines into Studio Max and generate a terrain surface there, but it tends to create a really ugly mesh, so I was hoping World Machine could do a better job. I'll give it another try later on, when I have some spare time.

:beer:

Thanks for taking the time to check into this.

I'm not looking to import a dxf mesh. I just want to be able to import a dxf containing elevated polyline contours that I get from the civil engineer and then use World Machine to generate the terrain. What I typically do is bring my contour lines into Studio Max and generate a terrain surface there, but it tends to create a really ugly mesh, so I was hoping World Machine could do a better job. I'll give it another try later on, when I have some spare time.

:beer:

That will work for sure. World Machine is extremely flexible you will enjoy working with it. Have a great weekend