Drawing title blocks

RedRex

Good evening ladies and germs,

I wanted to get opinions on the most efficient way of creating & saving title blocks, with regards to using them in future projects.

1. Create a title block in model space then save it as a .dwt file

OR

2. Create a title block in model space then save it as a block

I can't imagine there's a right or wrong way, just wanted get your input. Chances are you all know something I don't.

Thanks.

I'm not at my normal computer so this may not be quite correct. Try looking at "layout wizard". Follow the steps and create the layout the way you want it. Then, save the drawing as a .dwt file.

My office xref's the title block/border dwg, finish schedule dwg, and hardware schedule dwg, so one project with multiple dwg files looks the same. Keeps a copy of the title block in the same folder as the project drawings so only the specific project, yet the entire project's title block changes. Uses attributed blocks for page number and such that will be different on each layout.

We use a .dwt as a cad standard file which contains all our company current standards like text size,

dimension styles, page setups, and drawing variables like dimscale and ltscale.

We create a titleblock specific to the clients requirements like border size, logo, attributes, plot stamps etc.

Then copy or insert it into the paperspace layout of the dwt file and save it as a drawing filed in the project folder.

We then save a copy of this drawing in a client folder for future projects.

We don't save it as a dwt file since the client requirements change often,

however I can see if where considered a standard then it could be saved as a dwt

A made a tutorial regarding Titleblocks a couple years back and it may help as well. It's technically geared towards methods instead of creation. Intended for LT but works in all flavors of AutoCAD.

A made a tutorial regarding Titleblocks a couple years back and it may help as well. It's technically geared towards methods instead of creation. Intended for LT but works in all flavors of AutoCAD.

I've been trying to find that vid! watched it a couple weeks ago. very good way of doing titleblocks imo and i have just gone over to using it...... i have 2 titleblock layers, 1 always locked containing stuff for all sheets, 1 unlocked for sheet specific stuff - that way i don't accidentally edit things that shoiuld be across all sheets.

i partic like the use of the ctab variable. combined with my pdf plotter prog that suggests a filename consisting of "drawing title_sheet name" when saving the pdf, all i have to do is name the sheet. the sheet name then automatically comes up in the titleblock and when i plot to pdf the filename is already done as well. nice.

eg if my drawing is called 'drawing 1' and my sheets are 'sheet 1' 'sheet 2' 'sheet 3'

when i publish, my files will be

drawing 1_sheet 1

drawing 1_sheet 2

drawing 1_sheet 3

My office xref's the title block/border dwg, finish schedule dwg, and hardware schedule dwg, so one project with multiple dwg files looks the same. Keeps a copy of the title block in the same folder as the project drawings so only the specific project, yet the entire project's title block changes. Uses attributed blocks for page number and such that will be different on each layout.

+1

This is the way to go, afaiac.

When I get time, we are going to have all of our title blocks inserted through our tool palettes. All of the information (except the sheet name) are linked through our M-Files file storage system (and sheet number through the ctab field).

What I love about this option is that we could eventually include some of our larger clients title blocks.

I've had to develop the title block for my company from the ground up. The look of the sample title blocks you get from autocad were to say the least not attractive to company managers. They wanted something home grown so I drew our title block from scratch for a 24 X 36 sheet. Turns out drawing your own title blocks makes for a much more efficient output when it comes to printing vs using the title blocks that come with autocad. You use less paper and your files end up being smaller.

I've had to develop the title block for my company from the ground up. The look of the sample title blocks you get from autocad were to say the least not attractive to company managers. They wanted something home grown so I drew our title block from scratch for a 24 X 36 sheet. Turns out drawing your own title blocks makes for a much more efficient output when it comes to printing vs using the title blocks that come with autocad. You use less paper and your files end up being smaller.

I agree with you here. We very loosely based our title block off the AutoDesk default ones, but it has been changed so drastically over time you can't recognize it anymore. I think they opnly thing that is the same now is that the information is displayed on the left hand side!