i need help in scaling

trini lawrence

i need help in setting my scale. for example if i hace to draw a box so when i print n measure it reads 5cm x 5cm. how do i enter a scale ?

Are you drawing with the metric or imperial default template? You need to choose your drawing units first. Enter the -dwgunits command and answer the prompts. The 'hyphen' is required.

Don't set a scale when you draw in model space. Draw full size. Modelspace is infinite. Before you start to draw, set your units as above.

Then once you have drawn something, you can set up a page layout with a viewport. Your print/plot scale will be assigned to the viewport and this depends entirely on what size paper you will be printing on.

Have you taken a class or do you have a guide of any kind? Book, tutorial or otherwise?

Don't set a scale when you draw in model space. Draw full size. Modelspace is infinite.

Trini,

Take it from someone who's new to AutoCAD. Dana's advice is spot on. I never understood this either, since the only drawing I've done extensively is on Corel Draw.

Drawing in full size is convenient. You can draw all your plan views/details/sections on one space without worrying if it will scale properly on paper.

Once you're done drawing, the challenge then will be layout your paper space with the correct scale(s) using viewports.

Once you're done drawing, the challenge then will be layout your paper space with the correct scale(s) using viewports.

Which really isn't a challenge at all since AutoCAD will do most of the work for you.

Just need to learn the process.

thanks umm how do you set drawing limits?

I don't use drawing limits. Turned them off in second CAD class back in '87 of last century.

Type Limits and hit Enter

follow the command line prompts.

I prefer plotting in a window and sizing the winow and use preview to see if I like what I get. I start with a template and if I'm using 8.5x11 paper I'll draw a box 8x10.5 for landscape and opposite for portrait. Then I'll draw my part outside the box and when finished I'll scale the box or template to fit the part.

.... when finished I'll scale the box or template to fit the part.

I would never work like this.

My templates are set up such that I always know what is going to print without any preview.

Set it and forget it.

No drips, no runs, no errors..... .....as they say.

You don't need drawing limits. Start a new drawing using the "acadiso.dwt" template, since you seem to be using metric units. Draw your box or whatever in model space using whatever units you care to use. If your box should be 5 cm x 5 cm, then draw the lines 5 units long. When you have finished your drawing in model space, you then go to the layout tab for printing. Post again when you have reached this point. (I'm not on my CAD computer right now so I can't tell you word-for-word what to do.)