re-assigning a key to toggle ortho

sweiss

Hey. My new HP laptop has functions assigned to the F function keys, and this disables the autocad functions for these keys. I am told by HP that it is not possible to turn off these functions to allow cad to use them. I just tried working without using the F3 and F8 keys, and I am crippled. How can I assign another key - say Q - to toggle ortho? Help!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sweiss

• ReMark

• rkent

• mostafa badran

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You would have to edit acad.mns right at the beginning of the file where you see the words BUTTONS1, BUTTONS2 or BUTTONS3.

First make a backup copy of the file in case you mess things up.

Edit the file.

Save the file.

Start AutoCAD....and wait for it to recompile the file (creates a new acad.mnc file). Then you should be good to go.

Edited by ReMark

I will try disabling the function keys, but the response from HP scares me. Is whatever I do reversible? Does it "interfere with the motherboard" as I was told? I am an idiot with all of this and don't want to screw up my brand new shiny laptop.....Once disabled, will the function keys automatically do what they should in AutoCAD??

I looked for acad.mns, but nothing exists. I then see you mention acad.mnc, and wonder if that's what you meant at first? When I look for it with search I find it and cannot open it. When I look for it without search, knowing that the path is "Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD 2004\UserDataCache\Support", I try to find it and under AutoCAD 2004, there is no subdirectory "UserDataCache". This windows 8 is killing me as well.

In addition, I unchecked the box that allows CAD to use Windows shortcuts (ctrl O = open) and now it uses the CAD shortcuts (ctrl O = ortho toggle). That is a big help, but I'd prefer to assign another ctrl combo for ortho (something easier for me to reach, say ctrl Z. Also, there is no ctrl shortcut to toggle osnaps, and that's the only other thing I need. Any help on assigning TOGGLES to ctrl combos? I know how to assign a COMMAND to a ctrl combo (say, ctrl V to be something other than the default), but I do not want to bring up the ORTHO command, or OSNAP command, but rather toggle them on or off. I will build a shrine and pray daily to whomever solves this or me!!

OK, but I need to make a copy of it before editing, and though I can find the mnu file with search, the path still has it in a folder that is called userdatacache. So I cannot find it to make a copy of it. ONCE I DO make a copy, still not sure HOW to edit the file to get what I want. I am SO sorry to be such a moron about all of this....and DO appreciate your help.

Is your version of Windows set up to hide known file types? That would be the only reason I can think of that you would know the exact path to the file but can't actually find it.

Use Windows NotePad or any ASCII text editor to open acad.mnu.

After many years of playing with the BIOS go down that path its reverseable my laptop is the same but a SAMSUNG it has double functions on the F keys hold Fn + F keys, if you look carefuly at the HP info above you will see that your disenabling current mode which is what you want Fn+key, very unusual none of the laptops I have ever used has had the BIOs set this way.

This sounds like a dealer playing with it so to make the internet do quick things when demoing it.

OK, both of you guys are really getting me there. First of all, the folder that acad.mnu was in WAS hidden. I have un-hidden it and made a copy of it. But I do not know how to edit it. The contents are jibberish to me. I'd like to make a particular (otherwise unused) key the toggle for ortho, and another for osnap.....

Then, in AutoCAD I tried the "Fn" key in combo with F8 and YES! The F8 function of AutoCAD (ortho toggle) worked. I now just need to turn that off so that I can just hit one key (F8) without the Fn key. How do I do that?

I'm almost able to work smoothly again.....:)

Actually, I would prefer to re-assign the two functions to two other non-used keys, and leave the function keys as they are, if possible. So if it is an easy thing to do, I'd prefer ortho to be the letter Q and osnap to be the letter W, neither of which I use as cad shortcuts.

That information was already provided to you.

I'd like you to test something. What happens when you use the key combination of CTRL+L? What about CTRL+Q?

AutoCAD 2004 permits the user to assign shortcut keys in the following ways.

Function keys.

Control key then press a function key, number or alphabet key.

Shift key then press a function key.

Control plus Shift key then press a function key, number or alphabet key.

Control key plus Alt key then press a number or alphabet key.

Control key plus Shift plus Alt key then press a number or alphabet key.

You may be able to create your customized keys via the Tools menu, then select Customize. At the Customize dialog window click on the Keyboard tab.

sweiss - If you don't want to change the BIOS (which is simple and nothing to fear) then simply use CTRL+Fn to use the autocad assigned function keys.

Is your HP the Envy model? That is the same as mine and one quick change in the BIOS is all that is needed for you get this to work.

CTRL+L and CTRL+Q do not do anything. And I am aware of how to assign a COMMAND to a key or a combination of keys, but am not sure how to get the toggle to work, as it is a routine (ORTHOMODE COMMAND and then 1 or 0).

And yes, it is an envy, and CTRL+fn key doesn't seem to do anything, but Fn+F8 DOES toggle ortho. I'd just like to just hit F8 (or another key) to do it without a combination of keys. I will look into disabling the F keys. But I'd rather just assign the toggle to another key.... Thanks guys

How can I assign another key - say Q - to toggle ortho?

The only option I can contribute that has not already been discussed here, is this simple routine which may not be what you're after, but will toggle OrthoMode for you:

(defun c:Q ()
 (prompt "\nORTHOMODE: ")
 (setvar 'orthomode
         (if (= 1 (getvar 'orthomode))
         )
 )
)

... Just be sure to note, that this is effectively a Command, and requires a combination of either Q + [Right Click [Enter [Space-bar]]] to work.

CTRL+L and CTRL+Q do not do anything. And I am aware of how to assign a COMMAND to a key or a combination of keys, but am not sure how to get the toggle to work, as it is a routine (ORTHOMODE COMMAND and then 1 or 0).

And yes, it is an envy, and CTRL+fn key doesn't seem to do anything, but Fn+F8 DOES toggle ortho. I'd just like to just hit F8 (or another key) to do it without a combination of keys. I will look into disabling the F keys. But I'd rather just assign the toggle to another key.... Thanks guys

sweiss - Sorry I confused things a little when I typed CTRL+Fn I meant to use CTRL+F3, CTRL+F8, etc. So when I typed "Fn" I meant an actual Function Key like F3 and not the fn key on the HP keyboard.

Follow the steps to edit the BIOS, it is straight forward, if you think you have done something wrong then look at the bottom of the screen and it will show you how to exit without saving, probably an ESCape key.