Osnaps not always snapping

Keblapeb

I am using education version of Autocad 2012 and have only around 2 gig of RAM.

Whilst drawing , mainly in 3d my osnaps do not seem to work properly. In a lot of cases it is only the "nearest" snap that works. Sometimes I get no snaps when I think there should be plus I get a bunch of tiny green crosses around where I want to snap.

Could my lack of RAM be causing this ?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Keblapeb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe you are trying to snap to geometry that is not correct in the first place.

Post a copy of the actual DWG file you are working with.

2GB of RAM sounds like the bare minimum required to run AutoCAD 2012.

What OS are you running?

What other programs are running in the background while you have AutoCAD open? Anti-virus? Web browser? Music player of some sort? Other?

ReMark , OS is Windows XP 32 Bit

Web browser running . Thats about it .

Attached drawing trying to 3D align copied beam to haunch left rafter as in right side. Made too small originally so redrawing (3d align and slice) having trouble snapping to con lines.

Something is wrong with your drawing. Take a look at it from the Front. Notice that when you zoom in close to the two bolted plates the end of the beam on the left protrudes into the connecting plate. The beam on the right however has a gap between the end and the connecting plate. Also notice that if you look at the triangular piece of beam that you cut, it too overlaps the beam above it. In other words you have an interference condition.

Your plate connection and your triangular piece of a beam are not something I've ever seen before. Where did the idea for each of these originate?

Personally, I'm not sure why you need eight bolts when four would work. After all, the plates will be welded to the beams.

Edited by ReMark

BeamKneebrace.PNG

There is an overlap along the entire top portion of the triangular beam you are using as a kneebrace(?). This is a closeup of the left end (frontal view).

Mirrored beams.jpg

Is this basically what you are trying to accomplish?

What's the deal with the exceptionally long plate you are using to bolt the beam to the column? And the gusset (plate) and small (two bolt) plate behind the flange seems unusual (at least to me) too. What's your thinking there?

And lastly, that's the first time I have seen "U-bolts" used for anchors. Is that typical for where you work?

BTW...much of your geometry has a negative X, Y and Z coordinate.

Edited by ReMark

UnusualColumnBoltConn.jpg

This whole connection leaves me puzzled.

The stiffener is welded to the plate that is bolted up to sandwich the flange of the column. Is the stiffener just left hanging? If you need the stiffener why have the plate with the two bolt holes? Why is the plate on the beam so long and why are you using eight bolts not four? Just curious.

ReMark ,

This is a project for my studies ,not my design, except for weld on stiffener . I was just thinking how that would go in real world. Yes they would be welded to beam as would be haunch plate etc. Thank you for pointing out problems . Not sure how ridge plates end up that way . I may have accidentally moved them. I have to do kneebrace again anyhow ,because not long enough. Not sure I understand negative xyz value geometry .

P.S This is just an exercise for 3D Modelling and use of Viewport layouts. Overall engineering irrelevant . U Bolts not typical hold down except maybe on very small sheds. Just extrude path or sweep exercise.

I understand that it is a 3D modeling assignment but one would thing the instructor would still require the design to be somewhat feasible and according to established engineering practices.

You did not answer my question in post #7. Is what I depict in the image the result you were trying to achieve? Yes or no?

Yes ReMark , Though I thought thats what I basically had. I had just deleted left kneebrace and was in process of realigning , slicing and then mirror to other side.

I think the kneebrace is all wrong but if that's what you want to go with I guess it's your choice. Same goes for the plates at the ends of the beams.

No, it is not all fixed. The ends of both beams still have the same problem where the meet in the middle of the span. One beam end overlaps the plate while the other one has a gap between itself and the plate that it is supposed to be welded to.

The other problem with the kneebrace isn't fixed either. You have two solids occupying the same space.

Did you post the wrong drawing?

One of your welds on the stiffener (both columns) exhibits the same problem. The weld has a gap on one side and extends into the stiffener on the other. It looks like it was rotated for some reason. Not acceptable.

Why is the block named M20_BOLT (shown at the top of the column baseplate) on the Defpoints layer? Not a good idea.

BadWeld.jpg

Bad weld. Fix it or eliminate it altogether.

Was there no requirement to show reinforcing rods in the slab or the pier/pier cap?

A little better but you still have to fix your welds.

I might be able to accept the stiffener but the small, two bolt plate, just doesn't make any sense. Where did you get that idea?