how do you change the color of parts

mattador04

Hello> I was wondering if anyone had a one or two sentence explanation of how to make a certain part purple (not changing material, just color) within an .iam, or within its own .ipt file, for starters.

I don't care about the new materials library way of doing things by the way. I just want to make it friggin' purple. Thankyou.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

The process is slightly different in ipt vs iam.

In iam you probably want part selection priority filter - but color changes made at the assembly level are not pushed down to the part level.

At part level you can change by part, by body, by feature or by face.

I have learned that I need to see your file (could be simple block) if you can't figure it out as it should be as simple as right clicking on the part, body or feature node in the browser or on the face in the graphics window.

I see... lets say i want to change the color of parts at the part level, so that when I place them in the .iam, the color appears. In 2013, in an .ipt, I rt. click on the part in the browser, and i can change the i-properties only. When the i-properties dialog box populates, I see that i can change material under the "physical" tab, but color.....? I will upload my .ipt later on when i am home....

We are. I was saying that one of the only options I had when rt clicking was iProperties and I didnt want that. I want to change color. Here's the ipt.

motor.ipt

Well, the part is so poorly modeled that I hesitate to get involved (a machinist should do a better job).

but

You should have a folder named Solid Bodies - you have one solid where it looked like you should have several.

In any case, expand this folder and right click on Solid1 and go to Properties.

Right now it is set to As Part which is Galvanized.

Since this is modeled as one solid it looks like you want to control color by feature.

Right click on Extrusion1 and select Properties.

Click on Feature Appearance and set to a different color.

Wish I had time to show you how to do this entire part correctly, but I am a bit swamped with work right now.

Check those hole placements - they don't make sense in inch or metric units.

Ok heres the deal. I just need to know how to make something purple and now I am taking criticism from a stanger that I do not need or want.

I am a student and am trying to learn

You are in no position to judge me, especially when all I did was throw together some features in less than an hour. I could give two damns what it looks like as long as it is purple.

Dont get involved then, to hell with it. Ill find out somewhere else how to make it purlpe you stupid dickface.

Delete my damn file while you're at it.

What part of this do you have trouble understanding?

Right click on Extrusion1 and select Properties.

Click on Feature Appearance and set to a different color.

Color Properties.jpg

Notice the Solid Bodies folder just above Extrusion 1 in your file shown in image.

All was explained in the replies to your posts.

JD ease up on bashing peoples work. Good or bad. He asked for a 1-2 sentence way to do it. I'm not responding to any rebuttals either.

To get the part to be just friggin purple, upon the quick access toolbar use the drop down that looks like a color wheel and choose purple. This works for both the ipt and a selected part in an iam.

4-3-2013 8-46-40 AM.jpg

JD is absolutely correct in all the other considerations when changing part colors. There are ways to do it right and many ways to do it that will screw you later down the road. You'll get it though.

Autodesk Inventor 2013 Certified Professional