Importing DWG into Inventor 9

waynec

Two part question, if I may.

1) Importing a dwg file into Inventor 9

I downloaded a dwg file of a part I need to incorporate into my design in Inventor. When I try to import the dwg file into Inventor I get an 'unable to open' error message, advising me to close any versions of the file that may be open and try again. Of course, no other versions of the file are open.

2) I opened the downloaded DWG file in Corel Draw, made some changes, and exported the file as a DWG v9. This I was able to import into Inventor. My SECOND question is..

I only want to use a part of this DWG assembly in my design. How do I select just this part, and then move this into a new part in my design assembly.

For the curious, its a linear rail for a CNC project. I want the copy the exact profile of this rail, and extrude it to the length I need in my design.

Thanks!

Inventor 9, Corel Draw 11,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What you can do is, start a new part, scroll down your feature tree until you find "insert Autocad File" this will allow you to place an autocad file into the sketch. From there you can extrude features to create an inventor .ipt.

• 3 years later...

Hey,

Id also have problems with loading a dwg file to an inventor sketch.

I have Inventor 2008, in my previous computer i have no problem with this, and now it tells me that the file cant be opened due it is in use by other program, and is not in use!!!...

this also happens with the BMP images

how can i solve this?

PLEASE HELP ME!

I don't know if any of them will help. Just following logical steps.

Install all Hotfixes and Service Packs.

Reboot

Does the problem persist?

If yes, attach the files here and see if it works for someone else.

If yes, use Clean Uninstall directions (including Registry edit) and re-install with anti-virus, UAC and firewall turned off.

Reinstall Hotfixes and Service Packs.

Reboot

Does problem persist?

Call VAR.

That is an old release and I can't really remember back that far, but I do seem to recall that there was a problem (and a fix) but my memory isn't that good. Might require a bit of searching.

there was no change...

sorry to bother, im not really good with computers

i can use the software, but not manage very well the settings

thank you for all your help