Materials Blending

wscottbenson

I need some help figuring out how to blend one material into another. I have seen tutorials using the blend mask but I need to be able to blend one area of grass texture into another area of grass texture. I.e. I am modeling a golf development and need to blend the fairway cut of grass into the rough cut of grass. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Actually, now that I've had my coffee and I'm thinking a little more clearly, you were probably on the right track with the Blend material because with the Blend material, you can define your mask very precisely and make it as organic and free flowing as you want. The gradient ramp works really well for linear blends, but I'm not sure how well it would work for a golf course?

Blend.jpg

Ok thanks! What would you say the best way to achieve a tall brush like grass texture would be? I have tried using a bitmap diffuse from psd but it looks really flat. would I be able to scatter a grass mr proxy over a really large area?

Yes, you can scatter a mr proxy over a large area very easily, but your render times could really suffer. You will just have to try it and see how it works out.

If you're just doing still renders, it might be better to add the tall grass in Photoshop after you render.