Student version?

criscoduck

I am an old time autocad user and I worked in the business for many years. I am currently back in college and was wondering if in fact there is still student versions of autocad out there and if there is do any of you know the limitations of the student version software?

yes.

it's usually either a 1 or 2 year license. talk to your school's bookstore, or get online and search... amazon.com i think has it.

The student edition has a 2 year timebomb and there is also an over-print on printed drawings. Also, don't even think of using an educational version in a commercial environment because drawings will become "infected" and identified as educational only.

In the UK the student edition costs about

well shoot that rules out that idea then.

Here is what I am looking to do with the program. My experience is of course only with the full blown version of AutoCAD (no idea what version it was that I started with it... 1988 whatever that was) and I have never used any of the LT versions or anything like that. I will need to be able to create mainly architectural drawings and be able to convert these drawings into 3D with walkthrough animations and yes I need to be able to make money off what I am doing.

Is full blown ACAD my only option? If it is my only option I wonder how viable it would be to pickup say 2004 or something like that for cheaper?

Thanks for responses guys.

Since AutoCAD is quite an expensive software package you would probably need to avoid buying the full version flat out. You can try LT and see if it works for you, because the educational version prints a huge "This Drawing created with an education version" on any drawings that are created by it.

*edited by hendie*

reason: to remove the kind of information we don't want published on this site

well shoot that rules out that idea then.

Here is what I am looking to do with the program. My experience is of course only with the full blown version of AutoCAD (no idea what version it was that I started with it... 1988 whatever that was) and I have never used any of the LT versions or anything like that. I will need to be able to create mainly architectural drawings and be able to convert these drawings into 3D with walkthrough animations and yes I need to be able to make money off what I am doing.

Is full blown ACAD my only option? If it is my only option I wonder how viable it would be to pickup say 2004 or something like that for cheaper?

Thanks for responses guys.

if you want 3D - then you have to get the full blown copy of AutoCAD, which sells for about $4,000 for version 2007. i think i've seen it as cheap as $3,000 but i'm not for sure.

the LT version is around $800 but NO 3D, Lisp, or Express Tools, plus a few others that i'm aware of. you could jump on eBay and look for an older license package that someone is reselling... but buyer beware. lol you never know if it's legit or not when it comes to selling discounted/older software on the net.

i really dont know of any other option to go about it.

you could jump on eBay and look for an older license package that someone is reselling... but buyer beware. lol you never know if it's legit or not when it comes to selling discounted/older software on the net.

Beware; you cannot legally buy full AutoCAD from anyone other than an authorised dealer. So eBay is out.

The bottom line is that if you want to use AutoCAD for commercial purposes, then you should buy a legitimate copy from an authorised dealer. Any other course of action is illegal.

If you can't afford AutoCAD right now, you should take a look at the many versions of IntelliCAD such as this one: http://www.autodsys.com/intellicadhome.html a full AutoCAD clone for under $400. There are other developers working with IntelliCAD so it's worth Googling "Intellicad" to see what's available.

Beware; you cannot legally buy full AutoCAD from anyone other than an authorised dealer. So eBay is out.

oh wow, i didn't know that. i thought you could pass it on one time and one time only. wow guess i was wrong.... sorry for that!

let me ask ya this then... for those who do sell an actual copy they purchased long ago for cheap, are they held liable for this? is it illegal for the selling party too?

Like most software, you don't actually buy AutoCAD per se. You buy a licence to use it. Each licence is allocated to an individual or a company and it cannot be passed on to anyone else.

It is illegal to sell on your copy/licence of AutoCAD and eBay have been asked to withdraw such items by Autodesk - yes, they're checking :wink:

Intellicad looks very promising, in fact I think I remember playing with it years ago.

Are any of you aware if there is a PGP type file in Intellicad for me to play with like ACAD?

Thanks again for all the help guys, looks like intellicad would be a good option to start down this road.

I don't know for sure but I reckon there's a very good chance that InteliCAD has .pgp functionality. Certainly, the original open source code was as close to AutoCAD as it's possible to get. You'll have to ask the specific developer of the one you're looking at because they will all vary slightly.

I don't know for sure but I reckon there's a very good chance that InteliCAD has .pgp functionality. Certainly, the original open source code was as close to AutoCAD as it's possible to get. You'll have to ask the specific developer of the one you're looking at because they will all vary slightly.

You say reckon??? lol i thought that was only a southern word in the USA haha :lol:

You say reckon??? lol i thought that was only a southern word in the USA haha :lol:

Well I reckon that it had to come from the same place or language did ;) :P

Intellicad looks very promising, in fact I think I remember playing with it years ago.

Are any of you aware if there is a PGP type file in Intellicad for me to play with like ACAD?

Thanks again for all the help guys, looks like intellicad would be a good option to start down this road.

Try doing a search for ProgeCAD. It's the nearest thing to AutoCad I've ever seen and I think it's a free download (60MB), but I think it's only 2D.

Dave

Try doing a search for ProgeCAD. It's the nearest thing to AutoCad I've ever seen and I think it's a free download (60MB), but I think it's only 2D.

Dave

It's the same thing. It is still built on the IntelliCAD engine. I believe that it is one of the cheapest in price though. Yeah, the free one is 2D only and has a few commands removed IIRC.

• 9 years later...
hmm.....I using studient version...i don't like it.

You want to elaborate on that statement? What is it that you don't like? What other CAD programs have you used?

hmm.....I using studient version...i don't like it.
The upward movement of your level of "Like" of the student version is directly hindered by the number of classes you skip.