Are Autocad 2013 and 2014 interchangable?

Knz183

Hey guys,

I'm somewhat new to the thread. This is only my Second post. I'm a student at lone star college in houston, and I'm working on a set of piping plans in autocad 2013. I just downloaded a student version of autocad 2014. I wanted to know if I can work on my plans in both the 2013 and 2014 versions without any hiccups or issues. I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Autodesk change their file format every 3 releases. 2013 is the current version so to answer your question, yes you can open both files in either version.

The one issue is that student version will water mark the files so if you intend to use the plans in a commercial setting you shouldn't use the eductaional one. (Obviously this doesn't matter if both are educational.)

Edited by dbroada

...The one issue is that student version will water mark the files....

The information I am seeing on the forums is that 2014 removes the watermark.

I'm wondering what the logic is.

I could look at the history of Autodesk and speculate, but I'm waiting to hear more information as I have no first-hand experience with 2014 student/commercial license. The silence (on this topic) is deafening.

If the only issue is the watermark then that's fine. Our assignment is to design a full set of piping plans, but they're not for commercial use. The professor just wants us to go thru the entire process of creating a full set of plans. Thanks for the information!

Your professor should not object to the watermark.

If your professor does object, I recommend you have a talk with the Dean and suggest the Dean talk to the professor about ethics in use of software.

The watermark indicates that you are using a valid student license rather than a pirated license.