Model space in wrong scale!

intangerine

I have a drawing with the model space set at 3/16" scale. I've never worked like this before (I obviously always scale in layout space). However, I need to get this drawing back to normal scale so I can work on it.

I have no idea how to use the scale factor on this to get model space from 3/16" to 1:1.

Please help. I'm getting really frustrated.

Thank you!!!

Thank you. I had tried that, only it made the drawing so large that I couldn't even navigate it. I wonder if I'm incorrect about the scaling? It's the weirdest thing I've come across. Sometimes exterior double doors are measuring 6'-0", sometimes they're measuring over 300'-0". I cannot figure this out. I ended up playing around with it and scaled it up 1.325. I have no idea why that might have worked. It's close. Not exact, but close.

I appreciate your assistance! I was frazzled. Still perplexed...but things are currently working.

Scaling is HS mathematics.

Measure current size of something you know the true size should be.

SF*measured size=true size

therefore

SF=true size/measured size

Double check.

If working in feet and inches be sure to account for units.

This is probably the most common question that appears here, yet should be understood by anyone entering this field.

Sometimes ....measuring 6'-0", sometimes ....measuring over 300'-0". I cannot figure this out.

Neither can I. Attach your file here.

If you can't figure it out - attach your file here.

I know - it's such a simple formula, and yet I just couldn't figure out what that equation was! I still can't figure out how the architect did this drawing. I think it's working now, but I'm still getting some odd dimensions. The file is so large, I don't think I can attach it or I would.

I appreciate the guidance and support. If I can figure out how to reduce the size of the file, I will (and, of course, if you know how I can do that, tell me please!).

Thanks again.

... I still can't figure out how the architect did this drawing....

Say no more. :lol:

You could delete all but a couple of areas of geometry. That should reduce the file size. Make sure you have a back-up and do a File>Save As (save as reduces file size)

I am interested in the areas of great discrepency that you mention.

I keep trying to delete a lot of the file and resend, but it's still too big. Maybe they really messed this file up!?

Sometimes when I measure, though previously it measured correctly, it will start to dimension weird (like a vanity that should be about 24" wide will all-of-a-sudden measure out at 20'-0"). This is the strangest file I've worked on.

I'm very, very curious to see if you find what I'm finding! And, if you find why this is occurring. I'll keep trying to delete and see if I can save and resend.

Erase 90% of the drawing then save it under a new name. Attach the drawing file to your next post.

I gave you the scale factor based upon the information you provide that the drawing was done at a 3/16"=1'-0" scale. Did you at least try rescaling the drawing or not?

What makes you think the drawing was done "to scale" as though drawn on a drafting board?

Was a layout and viewport used in this drawing?

It will certainly be interesting to see how this one turns out. :popcorn: In the old days, before viewports, you could certainly find views with differing scales. Scaling everything up would not necessarily fix the prob in that case. But you should get consistent results from the same view, unless you have more than one dimension style you are using and checking it that way. BTW, it was not clear to me from your description if you are using dimensions to check the drawing, or if you are using the Distance command. The latter would be more definitive, as Dimension styles can be set up to show measurements altered by scale factors. Regarding model space: the Model tab is the place to be. I don't think it can be renamed; but you can rename a layout tab, e.g., ModelSpace.

Is it weird that I've gotten rid of almost the entire drawing and it's still too large of a file? It says it's 1.27 mb. I'm left with almost none of the drawing.

Anyway, the reason I thought it was drawn to scale was because everything was measuring wrong. The paperwork said it was 3/16" scale, and when I measured a doorway, for example, the doorway worked out to be over 15' wide. So, I figured it was off somehow.

The layers are weird, too. Some electrical is drawn on "wall-exterior" layers, etc. But, that's not a big deal, it just doesn't make sense to me why someone would do that.

I'll keep trying to resave so I can attach it. I, myself, would like to know what I'm missing here!?