ACAD Subscription renewal

kippax

Our license is provided courtesy of our German parent company.

However, they have recently sent us an invoice for €1200.

This would appear to be an annual subscription to cover us for software updates and patches along with web support.

The latter I certainly don't believe I need. However, the first 2 I am unsure about, but doubt it given the very basic nature of our work with ACAD.

Money is tight at the moment and unless this is absolutely necessary we would rather not pay it.

Any opinions ?

Why are you being billed for software updates and patches? Those are free on the Autodesk website. :?

And as for web support, you will get better support here on the forum than you will from Autodesk. So you certainly don't need that. ;)

However, they have recently sent us an invoice for €1200.

This would appear to be an annual subscription to cover us for software updates and patches along with web support.

The latter I certainly don't believe I need. However, the first 2 I am unsure about, but doubt it given the very basic nature of our work with ACAD.

Money is tight at the moment and unless this is absolutely necessary we would rather not pay it.

Any opinions ?

I've just paid my invoice for two AutoCAD Civil 3D seats on subscription for three years and it cost approximately €710 per seat per year. Vanilla AutoCAD costs less and one of the suites costs more. A subscription is the most cost effective way of always having the most current version of your product. If you are paying for a Subscription then your parent company must provide you with the access details of the Autodesk Subscription Center so that you can take advantage of all of the other benefits of having a Subscription. Most of the information is in English so you would not have a problem there. Techical Support is available through the Subscription Center and for some very technical problems they have in the past been of assistance to me, but, as CAD64 said and what your own thoughts are, for general support the support you get here is the best.

As CAD64 also said updates, hot fixes and patches are all free anyway. The only point to consider is whether you need the new version every year. If not, you might consider just sticking with the version you have. Has your parent company sent you AutoCAD 2014 yet?

An answer to ReMarks question would be very interesting.

When you say

Do you mean a single licence or a number of licences?

We recieved an email form Autodesk stating that if we did not tell them we were not prepared to accept there offer to go to the design suite, they would increase our subscription fees and do it anyway.

I am not sure but to me it sounds like this in our country would breach the consumers act. Autodesk being in the wrong.

Interesting I sent an auto reponse to Autodesk as a querry to their offer on 4th March still No reponse.

There is only me using it in the UK so given everything that I have read above, I'm going to take a pass on this and say that we don't need it.

Thanks for the advice as ever people.