need to uninstall and reinstall?

sternmann

when i last rebooted may autocad 2006 in windows xt, i got an error message.

Customization file load failed. File not found: acad.cui

i selected "ok" and the barebones acad came up: white lines on black background, no toolbars.

i'm afraid i'll need to uninstall and start from scratch.

1: or, can i fix the acad to get my old features back?

2: if i uninstall and reinstall, can i keep the drawing files?

3: any special cautions if i do uninstall and reinstall?

thanks for any guidance.

I think it'd be easier to run a repair. It should put the CUI file back in place. We are talking version 2006 so I'm not sure if the repair option is even available through Add/Remove programs, but most certainly it was there since 2008+.

I had something here I thought was a good idea, but I tried it and it didn't work very well, so I just took it away.

Edited by Dana W

when i last rebooted may autocad 2006 in windows xt, i got an error message.

Customization file load failed. File not found: acad.cui

i selected "ok" and the barebones acad came up: white lines on black background, no toolbars.

i'm afraid i'll need to uninstall and start from scratch.

1: or, can i fix the acad to get my old features back? You could try the REPAIR option first.

2: if i uninstall and reinstall, can i keep the drawing files? Yes, unless you decided to save your drawings to the same folder where your AutoCAD files are located (never a good idea).

3: any special cautions if i do uninstall and reinstall? Yes. Disable the UAC. Disable your anti-virus program. Follow the RECOMMENDED procedure for uninstalling AutoCAD as per the instructions posted at the AutoDesk website.

thanks for any guidance.

Got all that?

I assume it has been some time since this computer has been cleaned up.

If you do end up having to uninstall/reinstall I recommend restoring the HDD back to out-of-the box condition and reinstall OS and all software.

I just spent 2 days doing this on a 6 or 7 year old machine.

What a difference - runs like new. I used to wait forever for boot up, it now boots almost as fast as my new machine.

Be sure to set a Windows Restore point this time once you have everything running. With my new computer I do this before and after each new install.

If you won't do a complete system restore then at least search Google for Autodesk Clean Install instructions.

One major thing I would be worried about with a complete system restore is re-activating the license on a seat that old.