ACE 2013 Getting Started

milmat1

I have begun trying to work with ACE 2013 and the drawing of schematics I do ok at. But I am lost at trying to draw mechanical scaled objects etc.

Example, I need to layout a panel and decide on the size panel needed. I know my components and there sizes. I do not have blocks for the components. And I don't really know how to create them for a new part. (These being SEW MOVAXIS components). We have never used these parts before and the ACE is a brand new install.

How can I draw a panel to an exact size in ACE ? I don't know how to draw mechanical drawings. In fact I have no idea what scale I am drawing in when I open a new drawing...I want to draw a panel to scale and then place components onto the panel to for a layout for the guys to use when they build the panel.

But I am completely lost as to the steps involved in doing this...

Any Direction or advice would help..

You don't draw the panel "to scale" like you would on a drafting board. You draw it full size. If the panel is 30" wide and 72" high that's what you draw. Same goes for your components.

Have you checked the website of the company whose components you are using to see if they have pre-drawn blocks in either DWG or DXF format available for downloading?

Would these components happen to be Profibus function modules?

SEW MOVIAXIS.jpg

I think this is what you need to become familiar with.

Now you see why getting some training would be of benefit not only to you but your company as well. While you are spinning your wheels the clock is ticking and it is costing your company in more ways than one. Do yourself a favor, and your company too, by enlightening your boss about the value of some good training. Everyone concerned (you, the company and your client) will reap the benefits over the long haul. An investment in YOU will pay handsome dividends.

I have begun trying to work with ACE 2013 and the drawing of schematics I do ok at. But I am lost at trying to draw mechanical scaled objects etc.

Example, I need to layout a panel and decide on the size panel needed. I know my components and there sizes. I do not have blocks for the components. And I don't really know how to create them for a new part. (These being SEW MOVAXIS components). We have never used these parts before and the ACE is a brand new install.

How can I draw a panel to an exact size in ACE ? I don't know how to draw mechanical drawings. In fact I have no idea what scale I am drawing in when I open a new drawing...I want to draw a panel to scale and then place components onto the panel to for a layout for the guys to use when they build the panel.

But I am completely lost as to the steps involved in doing this...

Any Direction or advice would help..

when i installed ace2008 there was literally thousands of components available, by manufacturer (ABB, Siemens, Telemechanigue, Mitsubishi many others)....all the major elec stuff. you need to select what blocks are installed tho. by default none are. put the disc back in your dvd drive and install them

For starters, when you start drawing, full scale is right, but be sure you are drawing in your MODEL space, and not in your LAYOUT space.

I have done both. I draw in model space but i dont know how to enter dimensions. If i drsw a rectangle to represent a panel i dont know how to tell ace whst size it is...

I also tried inserting a company title block and drawing inside the designed border. But i still have no size/scale info.

I know that i am approaching this wrong but i also dont know the correct way...

I am really frustrated and feel like ive been thrown under the bus. Me and this company may be splitting ways here. I hate to because it is a great place to work knowing my health problems..

I have been selftaught in many areas but just a few hours of help from a training class could save me weeks of trial n error..

search for a book 'autocad secrets every user should know'

there's a pdf that's quite easy to find . very good guide

You can enter dimensions right at the command line. Start the line command, pick your start point, drag your mouse in the direction you want the line to go, type the distance at the command line then press the Enter key. Make sure Orthomode is enabled since you are drawing a cabinet. You want your lines to be straight whether they are vertical or horizontal.

Another option for getting the correct distance (and the angle too) is to start the line command, pick your first point, then stop. At the command line type: @30

There are quite a few more.

Did you visit the website I provided the link for?

Since you are using ACADE 2013 it's possible that all libraries and catalog content were not installed. This oversight can be rectified via the Windows Add/Remove feature found in the Control Panel under Programs and Features.

Would your company at least spring for a good book about ACADE? Figure $80 (without tax).

Edited by ReMark

Because they are pathetic, I asked about the class today and got a laugh out of the mngr..

I suppose I am to learn this via Osmosis !!

Ask him if they can spare less than $100 to buy a book about ACADE. If he still laughs then ask him to sit down with you and demonstrate how to do a drawing from scratch.

when i installed ace2008 there was literally thousands of components available, by manufacturer (ABB, Siemens, Telemechanigue, Mitsubishi many others)....all the major elec stuff. you need to select what blocks are installed tho. by default none are. put the disc back in your dvd drive and install them

I requested the disc from IT and will have a look Thanks!!

There are quite a few more.

Did you visit the website I provided the link for?

Since you are using ACADE 2013 it's possible that all libraries and catalog content were not installed. This oversight can be rectified via the Windows Add/Remove feature found in the Control Panel under Programs and Features.

Would your company at least spring for a good book about ACADE? Figure $80 (without tax).

I'm sorry if I overlooked it but which link ? Here or in the other thread ?

Yea I registered etc and got to the PT-PILOT and it doesn't list ACE2013 as a choice. It wont recognize any of my part no's.

The only one it will except goes to "Generating Files" and sticks there.....I give up on SEW !

I should have the ace13 disc this morning to try and load more manufacturers into the dstabase.

This is getting aggrevating to say the least....sheeew.

Because they are pathetic, I asked about the class today and got a laugh out of the mngr..

I suppose I am to learn this via Osmosis !!

welcome to the real world. sometimes you have to get on and do things yourself, which you don't seem very good at.