Keep Objects Active After Command

Randolph

Hi,

I think it's quite a lot of useless work to always select objects before or during a command, if you manipulate the same set of objects over a longer period of time. Say, as an architect I have a floor plan with a table and chairs. Now I want to copy, translate, rotate and scale the table with the chairs until they fit my floor plan. So I have to select the furniture, copy it, select it again, move it, select it again, rotate it, select it again and then scale it. Of course, there is the "previous" option, but is there a way of keeping a selection set active after the command so you just can go on to the next command without re-selecting the whole thing? My favoured workflow would be: Select the objects, copy them, move them, rotate them, then scale them. The objects should be active all the time and deactivated with ESC after the manipulation. Any ideas?

Thx, Ralph

Are you familiar with the MOCORO (move, copy, rotate) command?

It won't help you scaling them, but can handle all of the others within the context of a single command.

You might also want to consider GROUPing objects, which you may be able to do in the right click shortcut menu in 2011 Vanilla, I forget.

In later versions it is an available option, with submenu in the right click shortcut menu.

Make sure GRIPS = 1 or 2, select your objects, select one of the grips and right-click, choose one of the commands (Default should have Stretch, Move, Scale, Mirror, Copy..) after command all objects remain selected, just select and right-click another grip and continue as desired, they will remain select as long as you use the grip method.

More options can be added to right-click menu in CUI, Shortcuts Menus>Grip Cursor Menu

@ Dadgad: Well, I didn't know the MOCORO command, and it does have a scale function. So that's a nice one.

@ SLW210: I normally don't use the context menu, only keyboard commands (like d = duplicate, t = translate, x = trim, c = fillet (round), v = chamfer (edge) and so on). Anyhow, I tried out what you suggested, but the grips do not stay activated, both with GRIPS = 1 and 2.

What I thought of was sort of Maya workflow, where an object or set of objects stay active until you "actively deactivate" them.