subtract command not working like expected after import

jcc5018

Hey guys, I am working on a project where I am attempting to design a pendant. I wanted to do this in solidworks but I am not as experience with that and I'm having issues, so I went to what I know, AutoCAD. Unfortunately I am still having problems and I think it has to do with the import file from Adobe illustrator.

What I have is a circle with different parts and block text that I would like to cut out. I saved the illustrator file to a dwg file and it imported with a hatch over all the solid areas. I deleted that to get the respective outlines, and extruded. Most loops extruded but some failed to do so for some reason. But I have an option to convert to a pline, but then I get a specify precision dialog which adds a bunch of points along what seems to be a straight line.

Anyway, when I do manage to get things extruded, and go to perform the subtract command (or intersect which would be faster) I click the main shape, and then click the items I would like to remove, but it doesnt do anything. I have no idea what the problem is. Does anyone have experience with this?

I did get one whole to subtract, but I really dont know the difference between that and the others that made it work.

(P.S. If anyone has experience with solid works, I imagine this would be the same process. But I can get the outlines to appear, and extrude the outside shape, but I can't figure out how to get the inner holes to cut out.)

Unashamed2.dwg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

I tried to use presspull on it, but got a message about failure of the face to face merging algorithm, or something to that effect, then autocad hung up and I had to shut it down.

I hope the drawing upon which I was working is okay, sure it is.

Not for lack of trying though. :)

I could do it but it looks like the conversion process wasn't that clean. If you zoom in on what appears to be the intersection of two lines in actuality the linework takes a jog that includes two short line segments. In other words the underlying geometry is not clean; there are some flaws.

MessyConversion.jpg

I think both of these corners show some deviation. The one on the right is particularly annoying. This happens to be in the geometry on the outer edge of your circle.

I would start over from scratch and model straight lines as lines and circles as circles and arcs as arcs (rather than as splines).

I agree with Remark and JD and either start over in CAD or use the Illustrator output as a base to start from. Maybe bring it in and draw over it from scratch and just use the other image as a guide. Can you share the original .ai file (or maybe export it to another vector format, .wmf etc.)?

yeah, i know the odd corners was because I had a lot of gaps in the ai file between the text and the rings that I tried to fix with the paint brush or something. But you would think the lines in the middle such as the cross would be ok enough to work properly. The shapes extrude, but they wont subtract. I dont get why. I could probably redo it in AutoCAD, but is there an easy way to have the block text surround the ring, or do I have to draw each line? I suppose I could, but that's going take a while. If I can get this to work, I'd really like to make similar files with different text, so I'd like to figure out the fastest process to do so. Though Illustrator had its own share of problems as things are not lining up correctly.

I think the one problem I will encounter when trying to trace over the image would be properly aligning the circles and stuff to the image. In other words, setting the snap points to the center and such. I'll see.

You can draw 100% in AutoCAD, just use Arc Aligned Text then Text Explode the text or use one of several LISPs to create linework from text.

Using what you have now you might try using the BOUNDARY command to clean up errant geometry.

You can draw 100% in AutoCAD, just use Arc Aligned Text then Text Explode the text or use one of several LISPs to create linework from text.

Using what you have now you might try using the BOUNDARY command to clean up errant geometry.

I agree, also look for a stencil style truetype font for the arc aligned text and you should get a better product than you got from the graphic program.

Ok, So I ended up redrawing the part. I have everything done except for the text. When I go to explode the text, it changes the font style and no longer follows the curve.

I need the small text to touch the top and bottom of the arc since It will be the only connection to the top ring. But this may be too small for a 3d printer when I scale it all down, so I will need to add the base that I have in the the file currently.

But once I can get the text into outline form that I want, I can manually add the stencil effect to keep the letter centers. I just need help getting it to outline form so I can extrude it.

pendant.dwg

That looks like a decent tool, but it says its only compatible with AutoCAD 2012 and above. I have 2010. Do you know if it will work on that? I suppose I can try

Edit: OK I installed it, but I have no idea how to access it if it is actually available in AutoCAD 2010