Slicing 3d

Jegius

Hi, i am newbie in autocad 3d modeling. I have downloaded 3d engine model in .stp format and converted it to .dwg.. now trying to get 2d section planes from it.

That is how 3d model looks like in autocad : http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9577/blockreference.jpg

And this is example of what i need to get from 3d model: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7899/sectionplane.jpg

I think that i can't get that kind of drawing from 3d model, so i would be satisfied if i could get just section plane with exact measurments.. I tried tu use SLICE function, but it slices only solid object.. And i can't convert it in to the solid (i get message : objects cannot be converted '')

Any help? any ideas?

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

There are lots of ways to generate sections in Autocad, but I believe you will find that they only work on 3D solids, or xrefs of 3D solids.

Starting in 2012 viewbase generated representations are available in Autocad, as they have been for some time in Inventor.

The capabilities of viewbase were greatly enhanced in 2013, but alas, you are on 2007, and dealing with nonsolids.

I am not sure if Inventor Fusion can handle .stp format files or not? I believe you can still

download it for free, and it may be of use to you.

Autodesk inventor can handle with .stp.. but it can't help me, obviously because i don't know how to work with inventor.. i tried SPLITTING, various PLANE functions, but didn't got what i need... didn't got anything...

I'm attaching a link to .dwg file with one part of that engine, maybe it will be more simple.

http://www.2shared.com/photo/XuAaaAGF/Filter.html

1. Inventor fusion handle with .stp, but it didn't helped me... obiously because i don't know how to use it.. I tried splitting, variouse plane functions.. but didn't get anything... i will try to get latest autocad.

2. I'm attaching a link to .dwg file with one part of that engine, maybe it will be more simple.

http://www.2shared.com/photo/XuAaaAGF/Filter.html

3. I ran LIST comand on filter geometry (experimenting with one part, instead of whole engine model to avoid lags) and that is what i see :

BLOCK REFERENCE Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Material: Global

Handle = 9d

Block Name: "ACAD_FREEWAY_COMPONENT_7_Filter"

at point, X= -22.6000 Y= 3.2703 Z= -35.6957

X scale factor: 1.0000

Y scale factor: 1.0000

rotation angle: 90

Z scale factor: 1.0000

InsUnits: Centimeters

Unit conversion: 1.0000

Scale uniformly: No

Allow exploding: Yes

BLOCK REFERENCE Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Material: Global

Handle = 97

Block Name: "ACAD_FREEWAY_COMPONENT_6_Filter"

It's block.. i can explode it, but and then i can't slice it.. because it is not solid.. and don't want to convert into it.. Now downloading Autocad 2014 trial... will try with it, but it's hard to use all that software when jumping from one to another.

P.S. If someone want to help me directly (getting 2d drawings from 3d model) I would be grateful, also i can pay off for that via paypal or other.. PM welcome.

.... Now downloading Autocad 2014 trial... will try with it, ....

AutoCAD will not help you.

If you explode and then do a LIst, what does it say?

You will need a real MCAD program and my guess, a lot of effort, to get this to solids.

I'm betting that it is missing a lot of surfaces.

This is not a beginner project, if this is for a school assignment I suggest you find an easier project.

BTW - when I try to download your file the website you linked wants to install an add-in on my machine. No thanks!

Add-in.PNG

Edited by JD Mather

pita getting a stp to dwg.

i spent an hour or so last week on a part, trying with solidworks, inventor, autocad 2012 and 2013.....all combinations.

even if it does convert, like you found, there's not much you can do with it and it looks awful. all i get are 'polymesh surfaces'.

i won't bother again.

pita getting a stp to dwg...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with stp format converting to dwg.

STEP (*.stp) is a robust and reliable format to go between different CAD programs.

The problem is in what the original owner of the Intellectual Property (IP) decides to release in the *.stp file. Usually they provide some sort of "shinkwrap" surface substitution to protect their hard work. If you want a solid model contact the source of the IP and request a solid model. Expect to pay a fee for the model.

Chances are, the source didn't even create a usable solid model to begin with. Probably just a simplified "pretty picture" geometry, thus your polysurf mesh experience.

I use STEP all the time. Nothing wrong with *.stp format files.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf a little dated now (5-yrs old).

Link to original file : http://grabcad.com/library/ford-zetec-engine

Remark : when i explode whole model, i get surfeces and regions (when i exploded only part of engine - filter, it gave me lot of 3d solids ant few surfaces..)

Why i need it? i need it because i'm making project about ford zetec engine modification (can't change it).. if there is no chance to get 2d planes from that.. then i'll draw by my self, but that was the only way to get correct measurments of that engine..

JD : sorry for that link.. it's constat problem with free hostings (few buttons for download, for different files)

Well, I download the model (STP) and brought it into R2012. I exploded the model and then isolated the transmission and so far the blocks I have exploded have been 3D solids (I have not exploded all blocks yet). I will separate the engine and see what happens there.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Update: I isolated the head and block and exploded them and they are solids in r2012. I was also able to slice them with a plane as well. Perhaps your older version of AutoCAD is handling the STP differently than a newer version.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Downloaded autocad 2014 trial version, now after explosion i have 3d solids :)) i dont know why 2007 gives me surfaces and regions after explosion.. Thanks for all :)