Trouble deleting layers

bowersbs

I am trying to create a new document with new layers, but paste in an existing floor plan since it's the shell I need to be using. When I copy clip and insert into new file, all the layers import with it. I transferred everything onto 0 layers and went into my layer manager to try and delete the extra layers and it says i cannot delete o, xref dependent, etc. I want to create my own layers, and then assign the lines in the plan myself onto the new layers.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

When you copy or insert an entity into a new drawing the layers included in that entity, as well as the layer containing

that entity are all included. You will not be able to bring an entity in, without any layers. If an entity has been created on

the 0 layer, and is brought in that is the closest you can get.

It sounds like your XREFS are 2D entities. Try exploding the xref which will turn it into lines, arcs etcetera, at which point you should be able to change their layers,

or to RENAME the layers in your layer manager, which might be an easier way to go.

Starting layering from scratch on an existing drawing can be quite time consuming, depending on how many objects are in the file. That being said, these commands will come in useful when moving everything to one layer:

SETBYLAYER - Sets color and linetype to bylayer. Say yes to both options.

LAYERMERGE - Merges layers to a target layer. Make a layer that you would like to start with. I wouldn't use 0. Make a temporary one that won't be in the final set of layers. That way when you think you have gotten everything onto your layers, you can run a

PURGE and if the layer is still in the drawing then you missed something.

That should get you where you want to be in a basic floor plan. If this is a complicated drawing, you may run into snags along the way.

Warning! LAYDEL is a very powerful tool and not for the faint of heart. It not only deletes the layers that cannot be purged (except 0 and Defpoints) but also deletes all objects on that layer. Do not use it unless you are sure that you do not need the objects on the layer you are deleting.