Dimensioning Tooltip

Everything I draw is metric. I've got my templates set up and all my paper space scaled appropriately. All dimensions are as they should be. The annoying thing is when I'm drawing a dimension, the tooltip shows inches and not mm. How to change?

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

If your dimensions are displaying ARCHITECTURAL (meaning Imperial units, feet and inches) then you need to MODIFY your dimension style, by setting it

to display DECIMAL, on the PRIMARY UNITS tab.

I would also suggest that you run the -DWGUNITS (include the hyphen) command, in order to confirm that you are truly working in metric database units.

If it doesn't open automatically when you start this command, then hit F2 to expand your command history window, so that you can see enough lines to make sense of it all.

Follow the prompts slowly, and make sure you have your template set up just as you want it.

switch to decimal primary dimension units.JPG

Thanks Dadgad.

FYI the dimension style did not affect the screen display. the -DWGUNITS did the trick however. Will have to reformat all my templates but that's easy compared to the stress the other was causing.

Thanks again.

:beer:

Happy to help. :beer:

Did you notice the scaling options in the series of commands?

Lots of people don't really know what their drawing units (database units) are.

The -DWGUNITS command is really good for sorting it all out.

Autocad defaults to Imperial templates and dimensions.

Presumably you chose either a template whose name ended in ISO (meaning metric based)

or you could also choose a BLANK metric template (previously described as from scratch)

by selecting Open with no Tempate - Metric from the little drop down menu which I have circled in red

in the attachment. Od course the other option there is Open with no Template - Imperial. That image is the lower right hand corner of the template selection dialog box.

starting a blank metric template.JPG