Bogus Linetypes unable to purge

3dwannab

See attached dwg with a basic layer, dim style and text style template. See that there are linetypes which I can't purge.

_TEMP.dwg

Linetypes are for example:

4382_F_08-10 GA Elevations$0$4382_F_1000-1 Lower Ground Floor Plan$0$ceiling details - Model$0$SW-CA-ZZZZ-ZZZ-2SC-AR-063001_Section4-4 - Default$0$AUSGEZOGEN

That's just one name and there is over a hundred similar ones! Maybe the name is too long for ACAD to handle?

Things I've tried.

1. wblock selected to new .dwg
  2. audit, purge and audit, purge again.
  3. Copy and pasting into blank template. Step 2.

10+ years in AutoCAD and haven't came accross this before. Any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT (A sort of fix)

Got a great LISP from Lee Mac to steal layers, dimensions and Text styles from the drawing. As long as I didn't take in the Linetypes I was fine. This LISP does a whole lot more than the things described above.

Visit: http://www.lee-mac.com/steal.html

Edited by 3dwannab
A solution

I found a way to get rid of all but three of the bogus linetypes without using a lisp routine. I'm going to give it another shot and see if I can knock out the remaining ones. File size is 147KB.

OK. I did it and in the process I got the file size down to 80KB. Not too shabby if I say so myself. :)

BogusLinetypesFixed.dwg

Saved in 2010 file format.

BTW...did this drawing originate in Microstation?

Edited by ReMark

ReMark, that's great, thank you. My I ask the procedure to get rid of them? Do you open them in mircostation and do it from there? As to the whereabouts of the file I'm not sure as it came from an external source.

Have you noticed on your travels :) the PHANTOM2 linetype which is not associated with the drawing contents. Thing is I have a huge block library that contains that very linetype. I can WBLOCK the drawing and get rid that way but it would be nice to have say an aggressive LISP that removes it from the block.dwg's.

The procedure is not as quick as Lee Mac's lisp routine I can assure you of that! LoL

I went on the basis that the drawing started life as a Microstation .DGN file so I opened it in AutoCAD and exported it the Microstation V8 .DGN file format. There was a dialog window that came up and I recall unchecking one of the options but I can't recall which one at the moment nor can I check as I am currently not on my CAD computer. I can get the info for you tomorrow if need be. This one step alone reduced the file size to the 147KB I mentioned previously.

My next step was to open a new AutoCAD drawing and import the V8 .DGN file. I used the RENAME command to rename the three linetypes I circled in the image I posted previously to something like Bogus1, 2 and 3. I then used the command line version of PURGE (-purge) and first purged Regapps. Then I repeated the command and used the All option and you should have seen the junk that was cleaned out. After that I ran an Audit to check for errors (none) and finally I saved it under a new name. Done.

Yes, I have seen the Phantom2 linetype as part of the acad.dwt template in AutoCAD 2013 which I don't understand why it was put there in the first place. I edited the template to get rid of it.

Thank you there's no need to explain tomorrow. That PHANTOM2 linetype seems to be a bug in ACAD as every time I drag a block, linetype etc through design center from a clean template it seems to raise its ugly head everytime. Oh well the joys of bugs. :/

DGN linetypes are very difficult to eradicate. They even corrupted my acad.lin file (and continue to do so if I open a corrupt file).

There are a couple ways to delete non-purgable linetypes. The easiest is to use the Layer Translator (under Tools/CAD Standards). Load your current drawing in the second window, click 'map same', Translate 'translate only', and then ok. Then -purge, LTypes.

The more intensive option is to find the script called 'Purge Dictionary Entries'. Run PDI and if it finds ACAD_DGN... entries, delete them (and nothing else). Save the file and reopen. Then -purge, LTypes and they will be gone.

• 4 weeks later...

**PROBLEM SOLVED**

Thanks, I came across the same problem with a drawing so I tried searching for your proposed 'Purge Dictionary Entries' but no luck. I did however come across superpurge found @ http://www.manusoft.com/software/superpurge.html#Download.

Install

Run 'SPURGE'

Uncheck 'only purgeable'

type '*$*' into spec field (as all of the bogus linetpyes contained a '$')

Click the hard purge radio button

PURGE.

Done in about a minute including set-up. You can also save that setting for later use.

It even gets rid of the pesky 'PHANTOM2' linetype that every so often raises its ugly head.

SuperPurge UI:

spurge.jpg

**PROBLEM SOLVED**

Edited by 3dwannab

Opps.. I made a mistake. It is 'Purge Dictionary Items'. You can get it here .

I've been dealing with this for several months now and it's amazing to me how these linetypes can just creep back into a drawing. I can have a clean set of 15 files, work on them for days, and then one file will catch the virus again. I have not been able to track down how it get's back into a clean file. My only guess is it's a cache of some sort that get's reloaded periodically?

Thanks, will try that out tomorrow once I get to my CAD machine. Have you tried WBLOCK on the clean drawing? And see if they come back. Its highly unlikely that they come back on their own. Inserting infected files will most likely be a cause. If not give superpurge a go. Worked wonders for me.

WBLOCK carried all the DGN data to the new file, in my case. I know it's being triggered by something that I'm doing, I just have not been able to pinpoint it yet.

Opps.. I made a mistake. It is 'Purge Dictionary Items'.
I can confirm that this did not work after purging 'ACAD_DGNLINESTYLECOMP'

I can confirm that this did not work after purging 'ACAD_DGNLINESTYLECOMP'

Interesting.. maybe we have different issues then. For me it's

'PDI'

(ACAD_DGN*)

'-purge'

(Blocks, LTypes)

And all DGN are wiped from the drawing. Hmmm.. is there any other way to see if they are still there? Linetype manager is empty, that's what I have been checking to see if they're gone or not.