Rebuilding viewbase views?

43st

Has anyone experimented with rebuilding viewbase views? I have a drawing with unresolved views and I'm not sure how it happened. :oops:

On a semi-related note.. Does viewbase based sheet layouts make Autocad more unstable for anyone else?

By unresolved, do you mean it has not AUTO-updated?

That is an option which is controlled by the VIEWUPDATEAUTO variable, as described in the image.

viewbase automatic setting.jpg

This is what I'm getting.. I see the view, but the scale dropdown is missing and I can not select any function to modify or update the viewbase view.

t7h372P.jpg

I think I screwed up the file.. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this.

EDIT: this is interesting..

HxfQ3me.jpg

I've not used it very much, but I have not seen that before.

The entities are still in modelspace, right?

Is the red perimeter highlighting around the views to indicate that they are not current?

The entities are still in modelspace, right?

Is the red perimeter highlighting around the views to indicate that they are not current?

Yes and yes..

The great thing about VIEWBASE is that you can replace it in a few seconds, if need be. :)

We would be happy to look at it if you can post it,

does sound strange.

It's not perfect, but its limitations sure beat the limitations of either a legacy hidden layout or a solprof layout. Which were pretty much the only game in town until viewbase showed up.

I started swapping views out this morning and I'm almost done. Lost about 2 hours, but at least the solid model was safe.

Glad to hear that the integrity of your solid was safe. :beer:

Are you aware that you can EXPORT the VIEWBASE LAYOUT to modelspace from the right click shortcut menu

on the layout tab? It loses the associativity, and pretty much becomes like a solprof generated image.

I really like SOLPROF and still use it quite a bit when doing complicated fabrication drawings.

But I always explode the blocks and put them onto the layers I need them on, after running OVERKILL to strip out all the dead wood.

I do not see that on mine, but I'm not using ribbons and have right-click as ENTER. That sounds like a nice feature though.

Model space can only have the solid model, no extra lines or layers. Due to the complexity of the designs we do basically everything needs to be able to XREF into a master drawing (and not with a couple hundred PV and PH layers). I came from SOLPROF and using it exclusively, so it was a pretty major shift for me. The nightmare was basically to create the same view with legacy hidden and that required everything being on a unique layer.

Honestly VIEWBASE is pretty good. It's weird that you can't copy them, or run a boundary command on them (makes it a PITA to send parts to laser, etc.). A couple other little bugs, but nothing as horrifying as putting every bolt in an assembly on it's own layer. :|

For fabrication I just merge those layers into my regular layers, so at the end of the day I show no PV or PH layers,

but I understand where you are coming from.

I really like TIME SENSITIVE right clicking, because you can use the right click for enter, without losing all of

the very useful things that come in the right click menus. You can set it up in your USER PREFERENCES tab,

and adjust the time setting to suit your own taste.

Viewbase was made appreciably better in 2013.

Dadgad.. where is the right click menu on the layout tab? If I right click on it all I get are undock, close, etc.

Are you aware that you can EXPORT the VIEWBASE LAYOUT to modelspace from the right click shortcut menu

on the layout tab?

NSADsZS.png

Oh, sorry, I meant on the paperspace layout tab, as shown in the image.

If you have right hand short cut menus enabled there are a number of options there.

I strongly suggest that you give time sensitive right click a try for a few minutes.

There is so much available in the right click shortcut menus which you are forsaking

to be able to ENTER with your right click. You can have it all, there is no reason, nor advantage to settling for less. :|

TIME SENSITIVE RIGHT CLICK.JPG

getting to right click customization setup.JPG

the paperspace layout tab right click shortcut menu.JPG

Ok, thanks guys. I gave the "Export Layout to Model" a shot and it crashed. I do not have time for it now, but I'll investigate shortly.

Dadgad, I know what you mean about the time sensitive right click. I sometimes have to turn the right click menu on to get to certain features. The problem is if I have something selected, or if I'm in a command the time sensitive part is forgotten by AutoCad and it will pop up always on right click. For example select a line and right click to repeat the copy command, the menu will pop no matter how much you delay the time sensitive part. Not cool.