Wall or door opening

Suga

Hi all,

I'm new to Autocad, been away for 15 + years now trying to get back into it.

Can someone tell me how to create an opening in a wall? My aim is to take the final drawing in 3DS Max to render but I'd like to get all the basics done in Autocad.

Many thanks in advance

I assume you are talking 3D, as you mentioned 3ds MAX

The easiest way is to draw a box, same size as your door/openning and subtract from wall

Hi Hoss,

Thank you for your very quick reply.

I'm guessing that I simply select both objects and subtract one from the other, as in 3DS Max?

Thanks again

Thanks ReMark, will give it a go :-) I've always avoided doing this type of thing in Autocad as it always sounds more difficult than it is... Never tried "Press/pull" but I think it's time to give it a go.

Thanks again for your input.

I would have thought that a vertical product like Architecture 2013 would have some special provision for creating openings for doors and windows.

Yes, I can create doors and windows, however I don't want to use stock doors, I simply need to generate the openings so that I may create custom doors and windows prior to rendering in 3DS Max. Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my post, my apologies. In essence what I attempting to learn is how to create my model fully in Autocad without having to resort to 3DS Max. As I may have mentioned, I'm new to Autocad, or should I say I'm returning to it after many years away and if I'm honest it's all new and rather daunting :-) Perhaps a quick read of the Autocad manual may also help :-)

Welcome back and to CADTutor. :)

You might want to check your PROFILE in OPTIONS (right click inside the commandline to access OPTIONS),

it sounds like your selected profile might be Autocad Vanilla and you should choose Architecture if there is such a PROFILE

option available, in that way you could use all of the door and window tools available.

@ReMark I'm using Architecture, sorry if this is confusing. The reason for the question was that I don't want to use the stock doors or perhaps I should say "stock content" as I will be creating custom doors and windows for my project. Therefore I was asking if there was a way to create openings without using the built-in content. This way I can bring my model into 3DS Max, create custom doors and windows for the model. For example in 3DS Max I can use the Compound command, select Boolean and pick A-B or B-A. I was, I guess trying to find a way of doing this operation in Autocad, save me doing it in 3DS Max.

@Dadgad, thank you for your advice and welcome :-)

Ok, sorted, found the command... Thank you everyone for your help. I just used the opening tool. Silly me never saw it before... Did say I was new at this..

Thanks again.

BTW: Great forum, you've all been very kind and helpful.

Suga,

The best way to create custom doors and windows in ACA (autoCAD Architecture) is to create new styles: Essentially you're creating new "stock" doors and windows.

To do this first model your window as 3D solids.

Insert a random window at the right size and position into your wall (the command's WINDOWADD).

Select this window and right click.

A menu will appear and you should create "copy window style and assign"

Under the "Display Properties" tag you want to edit "model" add Add your block under "Other."

Best of luck

dJE

No, problem, if they seem more specific to Architecture than plain AutoCAD, they are likely to receive better answers, than they will in the General AutoCAD forums.