Flatshot location not at model location

ElRetro

I've been working on a drawing that requires me to take .dwg files of 3D equipment and place them into my one drawing for general arrangement purposes. I used it once before but now I'm having a slight issue when I use the flatshot command. I seem to remember Flatshot making my new 2d block at the same coordinates as the existing model and that it would be at zero in the Zed axis (x,y,0). My block now appears and various locations, even when i specify coordinates or basepoint it can be off by a good amount. Is there an option that I'm forgetting or something, so I dont have to manaully move my block back to the desired coordinates?

This isn't a major problem since I can manually match the block back up with the coordinates my model is at and then move it to x,y,0 but I feel like theres a way to ensure I dont have to worry about doing that at all. Any help would be appreciated.

When you use the FLATSHOT command don't be so quick to finish. Stop and look at your command line. Pay particular attention to the line that reads....

Specify insertion point or [basepoint/Scale/X/Y/Z/Rotate]:

See that word "Basepoint"? That option allows the user to specify a basepoint ON the block that is has been created before its final insertion into the drawing. Only after specifying that basepoint should one then move on to change the X/Y or Z of the block.

Try it and see for yourself. BTW...the "Z" elevation should still be 0.0000 unless you have changed something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm I thought I tried that once, but ill revisit it. I feel like the last time I was working on drawings and needed to use Flatshot I didnt have to worry about the basepoint but maybe I got lucky or something. I'll try and let you know what turns out. Thanks