Discipline
    Mechanical
    KICK-ASS's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Student (9th grade)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Currently, I'm working on dimensioning parts and creating them with CAD.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Default Bittersweet End

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, my teacher told me that I was actually ahead of the class, which is the reason I had the sprocket, but finals were coming and I couldn't finish it on time so she said to forget it since it was extra work; However, I want to GREATLY thank you all for all of your help, even though it never was finished. I hope to keep in contact with most (or all) of you. Now, I just finished my Final, and since I never got to show you a finished product of any kind that included your tips (remembering things you guys said helped me sooo much on the final), attached is the Final for 9th Grade CAD Mechanical piece that was to be dimensioned, sketched, and put on the screen, and the finished product...I was the only person to get 100%

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG fotofriend_2767853edited.jpg fotofriend_2767834.jpg fotofriend_2767837.jpg fotofriend_2767840.jpg fotofriend_2767844.jpg

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by KICK-ASS View Post
    Unfortunately, my teacher told me that I was actually ahead of the class, which is the reason I had the sprocket, ...
    Yeah, I suspected it was more than the usual.
    Now, I just finished my Final, and since I never got to show you a finished product of any kind that included your tips (remembering things you guys said helped me sooo much on the final), attached is the Final for 9th Grade CAD Mechanical piece that was to be dimensioned, sketched, and put on the screen, and the finished product...I was the only person to get 100%
    Congrats. Best post so far for being able to actually see what you've drawn. Still, without an actual DWG, the instructors here can't really pass you!
    However, I want to GREATLY thank you all for all of your help, even though it never was finished. I hope to keep in contact with most (or all) of you.
    You are welcome. If you are up to it, I would recommend finishing the extra credit you started, but doing it JD's way, that is, if JD is up to it. It wouldn't hurt to ask. You would stand to learn a whole lot, and you could even do it in Inventor.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.--

“Doc, it hurts when I do this.” “Well, don’t do that!”

“Well, if you don’t know, I’m certainly not going to tell you!”

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Now, I just finished my Final, and since I never got to show you a finished product of any kind that included your tips (remembering things you guys said helped me sooo much on the final), attached is the Final for 9th Grade CAD Mechanical piece that was to be dimensioned, sketched, and put on the screen, and the finished product...I was the only person to get 100%
    After looking at your exam, I'm thinking that it would be an interesting and informative exercise for you to do this in 3D, before tackling the sprocket. Perhaps you could enlist JD for that. Again, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Using
    Inventor 2015

...I was the only person to get 100%..
    Unfortunately it is not correct. (especially the hole).

I could have walked you through a very impressive sprocket solution in about an hour (maybe 20 back and forth posts) if you had been willing to follow along step-by-step (as I indicated). And I would have helped you do the elbow connector correctly.
    Certified SolidWorks Professional
    Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
    Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JD Mather View Post
    Unfortunately it is not correct. (especially the hole).

I could have walked you through a very impressive sprocket solution in about an hour (maybe 20 back and forth posts) if you had been willing to follow along step-by-step (as I indicated). And I would have helped you do the elbow connector correctly.
    I don't think enlisting our help during the final exam would have been proper. It would not have been in any classes I've taken or taught.

I was guessing that the hidden lines were not being counted as part of the grade. But that's one reason why I was thinking that learning to draw it 3D would be of great benefit, but only if he's really interested. I'm trying to think back, way back, to my own school days. I took Mechanical & Architectural Drawing my last 2 yrs, but barely scratched the surface. No threads, some isometric, barely any perspective. I think we did a small floor plan. The teacher knew a lot, but the level & grasp of the students was a bit on the low side. Still, it motivated me to learn more.

That's what I hope K-A feels after his 9th-grade course. Motivated to learn more. And this is a great place for it. He may be surprised at how much he doesn't know yet, but that's all part of it.

Using
    Inventor 2015

Quote Originally Posted by neophoible View Post
    That's what I hope K-A feels after his 9th-grade course. Motivated to learn more. And this is a great place for it. He may be surprised at how much he doesn't know yet, but that's all part of it.
    Doing pretty good for a 9th grade course, but was so close to doing really impressive work (for a 9th grader) with just a little more guidance.
    Certified SolidWorks Professional
    Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
    Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Mather View Post
    Doing pretty good for a 9th grade course, but was so close to doing really impressive work (for a 9th grader) with just a little more guidance.
    Yes, I entirely agree. Since he's got the knack for it, I would think he should really go for it and let you step him through it with the better tools. Why stay back with the rest of the pack if you don't need to? I wish I had had the availability of such opportunities way back when. But that's me. He will have to decide for himself what to do, but the opportunity is certainly here. I have noticed that he says he's online a lot, which would mean he could certainly do it if he wants. He could even soon be making good money at it, if he has the discipline.