trying to create (rig using animation > bone tool) rigging skeleton - help?

AlienBZ

I'm trying to rig this boy model which I d/l from one of the free model sites linked to from this site, I had a thread going over at the Area, but it looks like the people over there don't seem to be helping me, so I'm asking over here where I usually hang out. I have a book that I was using several months ago, doing a tut from this book "3DS max 6 animation and visual effects techniques" by Sanford Kennedy, starting with the tut on page 209 (tut 7.1 Build the basic skeleton). I was following this tut faithfully but for some reason or another, each time I used the tut 7.1 instruction files from the book's CD to create this skeleton, using the animation > bone tool, my bone chain always, without exception, lays flat at a 90 degree angle to the model's body, as you can see in this screen capture:

trying to create skeleton for boy model.jpg

and I cannot understand why my chain of bones (leg/thigh,etc) bones are at a 90 degree angle to the model's body.

Here is my thread from the rigging section over at Area:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/rigging/how-do-i-rig-this-model-a-childyoung-boy-model/

I also have this biped animation book I bought, the title is: 3DS max animation with biped by Michele Bousquet and Michael McCarthy.

both of these books include a CD.

Could you guys please tell me how to make the bone tool in my 3DS max (v2011) behave the way it is supposed to when I create the bone chains (up/down direction for thigh/lower leg/ball of foot/toes) and (left/right for upper arm/lower arm/wrist/hand/finger/thumb bones)?

Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to create bones in the Perspective viewport?

Yes, I guess I am. But what difference does it make (just wondering)?

Bones will always be created on the active grid, and in the perspective viewport, that is the XY plane. So create your bones in an orthographic front or side viewport.

Why don't you just use one of the preset CAT rigs, or build a CAT rig from scratch? http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-B28DB94E-2DD7-442A-96C1-53CE40998393.htm,topicNumber=d30e329647

thank you so much! Is this CAT rig like the bones rig, in other words, is this another version of the model's skeleton?

Can it be somehow inserted inside the model's body?

Can it be made to move (animate) using the Auto Key (or whatever it was that I've used (I forgot) when I did that tut from my max 6 book on animation and visual effects for the Dr. Quinn animation)?

Ok, I'm trying to use this tut you found for me - where do I find the "Panel", "Helpers", Uh, I think I found it. I'm in the "CAT objects" (CATRig Load Save) list now, and I selected the "Base Human" - is this is what I'm supposed to do according to that CAT tut you found for me?

Ok, I've resized the arm/leg/foot bones of the CAT rigging, repositioned the arms, legs, to try to get a perfect match of the model's arm/leg positions (as you can see from the screenshot), and I've moved the rigging inside the model. But parts of the rigging jut outside the model's body - what do I do about these?

After I accomplish the above I'll have to delete the default "box" hands and try to make fingers/thumbs

cat rigging - bones resized - sitting inside model body.JPG

P.S. when I tried to move the CAT rigging's thigh to try to reposition it in the model's thigh, the model's thigh moved and it looked like it was breaking apart from the rest of the model's body - does this happen with all Poser (since someone on another max forum said these naked people models I've d/l look like old Poser models) models, including people models created in Poser 2012 (which I have a copy of)?

If the model is breaking apart then there is something wrong with it. You need to do some detective work and figure out why this is happening. A model that is watertight, meaning there are no holes and all vertices are welded, will not break apart when you move it. It might stretch and/or distort, but it will not break apart.

Google Search. More tutorials:

http://www.traptcg.com/tutorials/3d-studio-max/create-cat-rig-character-part01

http://www.traptcg.com/tutorials/3d-studio-max/create-cat-rig-character-part02

http://www.traptcg.com/tutorials/3d-studio-max/create-cat-rig-character-part03

There are actually a lot of animation tutorials on this site. I suggest you watch all the ones that pertain to character rigging and animation: http://www.traptcg.com/tutorials/12

• 3 months later...

ok, I've finally figured out how to add the skeletons (CAT objects > parent) for whichever model I'm trying to animate (Quick start in 3DS Max 2011 Bible, having finally located the DVD) I'm on pg 10, step 4 in the tut of rigging up the walking dinosaur, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why, when I'm selecting/moving the appropriate bones into the skin mesh from the edit menu, the individual joints (toes/digits) turn out crooked, like as if the dinosaur was born with cerebral palsy, etc?

to date I've got both R & L back leg bones positioned (thighs/shins) within the skin mesh, but for some strange reason the foot/palm bones of the back feet will not move in such a way so as to be within the feet meshes (which stands up nearly as straight up/down like a steeple) but the palm bones remain fixed at a 45 degree angle from the shin bones of the legs down to the ground/floor of the model's outdoorsy scenery - how do I get the palm bones to position squarely within the confines of the feet meshes?

see images

capture_09092013_190259.jpg

QS5-Aligned CAT rig.max

I do not want to create a "disabled" dinosaur (that is, a dinosaur with cerebral palsey) I am very sorry I mentioned this. All I wanted to do is fix the crooked bones in this rig so it would look right.

Isn't anyone going to help me fix these bones in this rig?

Isn't anyone going to help me fix these bones in this rig?

I don't think anyone here does animation like this. Haven't you been able to find help with this sort of thing on the other forums I pointed you to previously?

• 4 months later...

Ok, I gave up on that dinosaur and I fond a new piece of software to create people models (Make Human) which I d/l and have so far created several people models (emaciated boy, infant, older woman models), software even has sliders to control facial features, spine/limb length/thickness, ethnicity, body build/weight, this software does have a feature in it that allows me to automatically rig the models w/ bones/skeleton, and it has an exporter allowing for exporting in several formats so I tried exporting my emaciated boy model (for my movie MC) into blender for sculpting with capture tablet, so, can't I use this setup as to create the people models/use blender to give certain ones extra digits/alien faces/heads using capture tablet in blender?

note: all of my people models, whether male or female are created like Barbie/ken models.

What software are you using?

so I tried exporting my emaciated boy model (for my movie MC) into blender for sculpting with capture tablet, so, can't I use this setup as to create the people models/use blender to give certain ones extra digits/alien faces/heads using capture tablet in blender?

Yes, you can use Blender to modify the character models, but I would modify them before you rig them. If you rig the character first, then export to Blender for modifications to add extra digits, those digits will not be rigged.

• 4 months later...
What software are you using?

Yes, you can use Blender to modify the character models, but I would modify them before you rig them. If you rig the character first, then export to Blender for modifications to add extra digits, those digits will not be rigged.

Thank you very much, Cad64. So far, I used MakeHuman to create this "squillien" boy model of who I am supposed to be in this movie (I'm to be the MC) and before I exported it, I rigged it and then exported it as *.fbx and then imported it into max, it showed up as nearly like it did before (on my Dell Xp laptop) but this time I did this in my new laptop I got back in January running Windows 8., and I was able to quickly fix this model to make it show up as this (see screenshot):

EDIT - I have yet to add the "Squillien" skin/eye color, clothing, etc

i fixed my make human model in 3ds max.jpg