can you export a 3d model so it can be opened up in autocad

raj banerjee

as above really, working on a project with another company, they are using revit and we are using autocad.

We have requiested some drawing from them but they say they cannot save the revit files in a manor in which they can be opened in autocad. They have said " although we can produce autocad dwg files they will be very poor quality and require time to export"

I always thought that if you export the files as dxf they would be fine and still represent a drawing accuratly within Autocad just without the information required by revit??

Can anyone put me right or state if this is true/not true.

Thanks in advance

They're being lazy, it takes less than 5 minutes to export a generic DWG from Revit.

I did it this morning and put my drawings on my 360-drive so I could do markups and pictures in the field on my Galaxy Tab with AutoCAD WS.

They have said " although we can produce autocad dwg files they will be very poor quality and require time to export"

Translation, "We don't know how to do it correctly."

At the place where I work, we are still doing projects in CAD that are being done in Revit by the architects. I don't even let them attempt to give me .dwgs. Even if they know how to export the model, they never get it right. I'd much rather do it myself than have to ask for the ceiling plan or the equipment plan every time there is an update. They always seem to forget something.

Can anyone put me right or state if this is true/not true.
This is false. As already stated by Lee and Rob, they either don't want to or don't know how.

The process is very simple. "R > Export > CAD Formats > DWG". Takes seconds.... read here: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/1468-Document1468/2171-Print_Ex2171/2172-Export2172/2173-Exportin2173/2175-Exportin2175

Translation, "We don't know how to do it correctly."

At the place where I work, we are still doing projects in CAD that are being done in Revit by the architects. I don't even let them attempt to give me .dwgs. Even if they know how to export the model, they never get it right. I'd much rather do it myself than have to ask for the ceiling plan or the equipment plan every time there is an update. They always seem to forget something.

Rob has a good solution, do it yourself. That also makes it easier to export to your own layers as you define them (assuming you've already set up the translator, takes about an hour, then done for life), not what someone else thinks you need.