My new 2011 freezes at start.

acewray

Very excited getting my CAD 2011 full version. Have been running 2004 LT in XP Pro via VMware. Have an HP 3500, i5 34xx, 12.0 ram, Nvidia 1mb video, W7 Pro/64 bit. It just freezes and gives the dreaded "wait" or "terminate" options once passing the welcome screen. It does not get past the gray screen with the little red AutoCAD in the left corner - no tools or command line.

Am administrator, clean boot did not help, installed 1.1 and 2.0 updates. Virus protection is off. Have no problem going into the VM and running old 2004 LT.

Am computer literate. Am single license user, no networks. Any ideas/solutions would be very helpful. Sad that it doesn't run yet.

Thanks,

Acewray

Supposed to be a clean copy. Arrived in new packaging with sleeve, 32 & 64 bit DVD's. Not an electronic or trial download.

Supposed to be a clean copy. Arrived in new packaging with sleeve, 32 & 64 bit DVD's. Not an electronic or trial download.

Here we go again. :(

As a new user I am unfamiliar with any past discussions. Can you bring me up to date on this type issue or link me to past threads? Thanks!

Paid with Paypal, so shouldn't be a problem wtih returns. It is an actual company and I have talked with one of their guys to problem solve. Not worried, just bummed it doesn't work. Will likely get refund.

I do only 2D, but need to start using a plug-in. Use Sketchup for 3D.

If LT accepted plug-ins I would go that direction.

As a single man operation paying 3k for software is not an option, hence the continual search for affordable solutions. That's a whole paycheck!

Thanks.

Is "free" affordable enough for you?

Take a look at Draftsight by dessault systemes. It is an AutoCAD-clone (strictly 2D though). There is even a 186 page user's manual titled "Getting Started with Draftsight".

Another free option is nanoCAD.

It isn't going to be so new. Draftsight, like progeCAD, Bricscad, nanoCAD, ZWcad, etc. is an AutoCAD-clone. Yes, they'll be some nuances you'll have to learn and get used to but most of these programs have such a large user base that you'll find a robust online community to assist you when you get stuck.

Although I run AutoCAD for my job I too have Draftsight on my computer. Why? Because we set up our engineering interns with it and I have to be able to answer their questions.