Pyramid Modeling

Pinballsmith

I've been trying to figure out the best way to approach this model I would like to create based on a real-world object I have. The issue deals with how to achieve the bricks. I plan on having this model 3d printed and each brick needs to be present in the finished project.

IMG_0012.jpg

Loft to point for the pyramid, the rest is work. Extrude and subtract. (you can do the extrude-cut in one operation in Inventor).

Hmmm, that just gave me an idea of an easy way to do the horizontal cuts I would actually have two pyramids, one for the outer and one for the cut depth to join after cutting.

The vertical cuts would be a bit more work, but some patterning might make it not so bad.

The more I look at it, oh about 20 minutes work in Inventor, maybe twice that.

Well from the image it looks like some of the bricks are different heights, so maybe I need to allow a bit more time.

I would think that if you need the individual blocks printed (including the inner ones), you'd be best off to draw your block 3D then copy it enough times to make one row. Use Press-Pull or Sweep or Extrude & Subtract to notch in for the gap between blocks before you start copying. Copy that whole row until you've got a bit wider than the base in both directions (you don't want the bottom corners to start at a gap). Now copy your entire base layer, move it up on laye rand offset 1/2 a block each horizontal direction. Copy the tho layers together and paste them several times until you have the height you need. Draw yourself a vertical surface, rotate it in the 45 degrees or whatever the angle is, Polar Array the thing four times around the central vertical axis, then Slice the pyramid using all four Surfaces.

For the gap between blocks on the outside, I think you could draw your grid of gaps (using two lines to define how wide the gap really is), then trim out all the intersections, rotate the grid to be plane with the outside of your pyramid and try Press-Pull to push the grid into the pyramid. Polar Array that shape around like you did with the Surfaces and Subtract them from the pyramid. I'm not sure if the Press-Pull will work (horizontally) since it's not perpendicular with the plane in which your grid was drawn (since you rotated the grid onto your pyramid's surface). You could also probably draw the outline of one block, offset half you gap width further out, align that with the pyramid surface, copy that double rectangle over and over (offsetting 1/2 block for the second layer), then Extrude that along a horizontal Path, then Array and Subtract

Just a couple ideas off the cuff.