Revit MEP and Piping add on programs

OldRed

Our company is looking very closely at switching to Revit MEP for piping 3d modeling & spooling. We have had a demonstration for Sysque but I'm wondering how well Revit MEP does to LOD 400 without the add on. Does it ship with sufficient content to get started and how easy/difficult is it to obtain manufacturers Rervit libraries (families?)?

LOD 400, not at all. The first thing that needs to be grasped is that Revit MEP is not a fabrication level software. I come from the contracting side of things and from that perspective, Revit MEP would frustrate even the most open minded contractor.

Ease and difficulty to obtain manufacturers' Revit Families are a mixed bag. Personally, I don't trust hardly any manufacturer for many reasons so I usually build my own per the specs. This is my - and my company's - standard procedure and some may not agree with it.

I will say... Sysque looks pretty promising. Why not move forward with their add-on anyways? It gets you into Revit which is a wonderful world to be in, and gives you the LOD you're looking for.

Just curious is all.

We probably will, we have to upgrade from CAD MEP 2011, why spend a boatload of money in waning software. So much of construction is going Revit. And Sysque looked very strong.

So much of construction is going Revit.
Such a true statement and I'm glad to see guys on the contracting side seeing this and showing interest in Revit. It'll only help the Revit development in the longrun as more demand from your side of the market continues to knock on their door.

Styk, we use manufacture-supplied families whenever possible and haven't had much issue. Now we do double check their families against their spec sheets, and in three years I've only found a couple discrepancies.

It is nice to see contractors finally grasping Revit.

• 1 year later...

I don't use SysQue. I always use latest and greatest software because gains me access to the latest and greatest tools and updates to the software in general.

I don't use SysQue. I always use latest and greatest software because gains me access to the latest and greatest tools and updates to the software in general.

What are you using for add ons/spool sheets or are you doing fabrication? Or what add ons are you using, and for what?

I don't do fabrication spool drawings anymore. Just plan Revit for me. I primarily coordinate all the sub-contractors who do all the fabricating now, given my position at a general contractor as a BIM coordinator. I'm a project manager of sorts, specifically for the MEP trades, seeing BIM designs go from conception to coordination to field installation and everything in between.