Scaling Down a 2D Drawing!

I am sorry to be asking but, i have a 2D drawing that is drawn if full scale, it is 26feet wide apprx. and 20 feet tall. I need to scale down to fit on a 4 X 8 for a mockup, i have tried using the scale command, but to no avail. I am sure it is something simple, but i am self taught for the most part and really need some help on this, as i have to turn out this mock-up within next day or so... Thanks to all, i have always gotten good help from everyone on here.:unsure:

Wouldn't it be easier to use a layout and a viewport then assign the scale to the viewport itself?

Did you try a scale factor of 0.2?

It would be except for the fact that i actually am putting this drawing (which is a carving) onto material and i need to scale it down to fit the mock-up size accordingly! If that makes any sense, so view-port doesn't help in this , as i need the scale down to make the g-code appropriately to the size of the mock-up. thank you.

Well unless you plan on using a different X/Y scale it isn't going to fit the 4x8 fully.

Just so we're clear you are going from 26x20 to 8x4 (horizontal distance is larger). Right?

Yes, it is 8ft. in horizontal. i used the scale and went to .33 and the part comes out to 102.875", but the height is not changing enough ( 78"), it is real close. i will keep working on it. What do you mean by using a different x/y scale? I will post the dwg of what i am doing and what i have done, maybe that will clarify.

We don't need to see the actual drawing. If you make a block of the larger rectangle and then insert it into the smaller rectangle and uncheck "scale uniformly" you can apply a different scale factor to both X and Y and the larger rectangle will fit perfectly within the confines of the smaller one.

ScaledRectangles.jpg

This is what I come up with. The rectangle on the far right has been inserted as a block and non-uniformly scaled. Perfect fit.

While that may seem like a workable solution remember that it will distort whatever is represented by the larger rectangle. If you can live with the result then fine. If you can't then you would be faced with a choice of either having some extra (non-filled) space or changing the final size from 8x4 to something more suitable scale-wise.

In the future, should you have to do something similar, save yourself some work by using this quickie proportional scale calculator...

http://scriptygoddess.com/resources/proportioncalc.htm

How can i import a block to show you what is going on. I cannot find where these things live? i was going to import the block and let you throw it on a 4 X 8, it looks pretty good except the image is funky looking, the other parts all look ok, maybe this is the way it looks scaled down, not sure.

Blocks are stored within the drawing they were created in. You can use the Design Center to pull blocks from one drawing into another.

WBlocks are blocks that are written to your hard drive as DWG files. I couldn't tell you where to look because everyone stores their blocks differently. You do have a system don't you?

Or are you asking how to upload a block here at CADTutor?

The image may be funky looking because it is scaled non-proportionally. That's one possible reason.

Yes, i am using AC08 and I have AC12 just havent started using it yet, as the program software i am using is AC based, there are alot of changes in 12 that we arent ready to dive into yet. We are using a Microvellum with AC as base program. i will look some more for these files.

The Block and WBlock commands have been around for quite some time.

You've never heard of the Design Center?

untitled.jpg

ReMark do you think it would work to choose PRINT from the pop-up window choose WINDOW draw a window around the drawing and under the plot scale choose FIT and print it out on a 8-1/2 X 11 and then trace it on what ever he wants it on.

welldriller: I would not consider that a viable option as Hogfan wants to fill the entire area. AutoCAD is not going to make it magically proportional. Some intervention on the OP's part is required thus my suggestion re: block and different X/Y scales.

Thank you for the reply ReMark, just thought it might be a start to something useful

Edited by welldriller
correct spelling