Penn Foster Basketball court project

cosme017

Anyone have to make a basketball court yet. I just downloaded the sketch, and i was looking to get a jumpstart on it. I haven't found anyone posting on the topic, so i just wanted to know if there are any other students that have posted questions. Thanks. Yes ReMark I'm backkkkk! Lol

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• cosme017

• JB23JB

• neophoible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought you had finished?

This is the first I have heard about the basketball court project. What is the student expected to do?

Yeah I'm in my final semester, and i have a second autocad project. I will know more info when i get the book, but it looks like a basketball game. I can send you a preliminary sketch on it. Of course their teachings and explanations seem a little vague to me. Let me know if your interested. I can pm some info. I'm curious what your thoughts are.

I got it. So in essence the student is being asked to create a full set of drawings for the manufacture of a desktop basketball game. From what I have seen (diagrams) and read in the instructions it is one of the more well thought out projects that Penn-Foster has come up with. Perhaps all my emails, which to this day remain unanswered, did some good after all.

Given what you have accomplished already I see no reason why you could not complete this project entirely on your own.

FYI: You are the first student to mention this particular project.

BTW...the following lines, taken directly from the PDF you sent caught my eye.

"With a little trial and error (and possibly some help from user groups and other Internet resources), you’ll be able to successfully complete this course no matter what version of AutoCAD you use."

Did you end up buying the book "Engineering Graphics Essentials" by Kirstie Plantenberg? if so, what did you think of the book and the DVD that came with it?

I see near the end of the book there are a number of exercises that start off with the words..."Use a CAD package to create an orthographic projection of the following object. Draw the three standard views." Question: Does Penn-Foster at any point tell the student of the many ways 2D views can be extracted from 3D models? Do they even touch upon the subject of 3D modelling using AutoCAD?

When i get the books and dvd I will answer those questions. I was a little confused, because it seems to me the Oleson village project was twice as hard, and after the current readings i said to myself this doesn't look so bad.Thanks for the review, and i will be sure to keep in touch.

I read the fourth edition of the author's book online (PDF) and it has little if anything to do with CAD per se and more about drafting technique.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, well I have officially started the course. they sent me the 2013 Engineering graphic essentials. The book is informative, so I hope to get this right. In lesson 3 where I have to do the 8 projects; am I drawing the 3D version first, then the three views? 3D is new for me, so I hope I can pick it up. I am starting the first project today.

Ok, so I got started. I have a couple of questions. I must be in the wrong mode (snap, or dynamic, etc...) Anyways, I am doing a simple orthographic projection and I have a few questions. 1: chamfer- I pick the top and side lines but it doesnt chamfer for me. I read the book and clicked the help button, but nothing is happening. 2: I can't offset to a specific mathematical distance. ex. .62 or 1.56 from one of the lines. If I can figure this out, I know I can fix my other 2 questions, so I won't bother asking them. 3: Is it ok if my dimensions partially overlap the current layer(s)? thanks again.

I got the offset problem fixed. I'm just going to use the command line instead. sorry I didnt think of that earlier.

Re: Chamfer Your input should be something like this:

Command: CHAMfer

(TRIM mode) Current chamfer Dist1 = 0.0000, Dist2 = 0.0000

Select first line or [undo/Polyline/Distance/Angle/Trim/mEthod/Multiple]: D

Specify first chamfer distance : .25

Specify second chamfer distance : .25

Select first line or [undo/Polyline/Distance/Angle/Trim/mEthod/Multiple]:

Select second line or shift-select to apply corner or [Distance/Angle/Method]:

Dimensions should not overlap the underlying geometry. However, since I'm not exactly sure of what your specific situation is I would need to see an image to comment further.

BTW...the following lines, taken directly from the PDF you sent caught my eye.

"With a little trial and error (and possibly some help from user groups and other Internet resources), you’ll be able to successfully complete this course no matter what version of AutoCAD you use."

Lol, looks like PF admits it isn't good enough! :rofl:

ok now I can get an idea whats going on. I put the 3 views as a block, and I put the title as a block. so when I am in model i click grid, and it's a small box. so somewhere or somehow I have to change the size. I know it's a simple fix, but sometimes I can't see whats right in front of me. I need help sizing the title block to the paper size 8.5 x 11. It seems as though the border in paper space is about 3 inches in. The border suppose to go about 3/8th from the edge. Also, my 3 views are not to size. they need to be bigger. how do I do that in model space?

How you managed to get into this situation despite having successfully completed the other projects is beyond my understanding. The best advice I can give you at the moment would be to attach a copy of your drawing, including your title block and border, to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it and determine where you went astray. It could be just a matter of applying the right scale(s) to your paper space viewports so that they fit within the confines of your title block and border. That's just a guess on my part at the moment until I see your drawing. One last thing, I will have to ask you to refrain from sending me private messages about this topic. Please post all your questions in this forum that way other forum members can participate in the exchange of ideas and information. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...