XREF relative path

dbroada

I have just been given a set of drawings from another DO in our group. These drawings have an XREF defined with an absolute path, which is on another planet - well somewhere else anyway. What is the easiest way to convert this to a relative so that I can work on the drawings and then give them back to them?

that didn't quite do what I had intended but I can now see that I can remove the path from the current XREF manager and save it to give me what I want. Thank you for the starting point. I just hadn't seen it before.

its actually even easier than I thought. I had a set of 5 drawings looking for an xref in an obscure folder. I have changed just one drawing in the set to look in the current folder and all the rest changed by themselves. WooHoo! Result. (Still don't like using XREFs though)

Another option is to put the XREF in the same folder as the referencing file. No matter what type of pathing is assigned, AutoCAD automagically finds them.

Another option is to put the XREF in the same folder as the referencing file. No matter what type of pathing is assigned, AutoCAD automagically finds them.
that's what happened here. I had the XREF in the folder with the drawings but they were all finding the XREF in their original folder, not the local one. Once I had told the first drawing to look in the current folder they all found the local one.

• 5 weeks later...

you can also use the refernece manager to change the path to a relative path. Or use the express tool to "redir", this allows you to do search and replace for a specific path.