AutoCAD Layer order problem

Hi all,

I am very frustrated with autocad. I can not make autocad's layer order stay where they suppose to be.

for example: i have two line overlap each other. one line grey and one line black. I want black line on top of grey but autocad keep make the grey line on top of black line which print the line grey color. doesn't matter how many time i sent the gray line to the back. it keep come to the top when i edit in viewport or when i reopen the drawing. and sometimes, i change layer order in model space and it's not showing up the right order in viewport.

what can i do? all i want is when i have two line overlap each other. i want to print the darker line, not lighter one???

Guest AARi

couple of things

autocad got some orders to put element at the front or below another elements....

and check if you can separate these lines in differents layers [& hide to plot which one you don´t want print]

what kind of orders are you talking about?

I can not hide or separated the line because some thing like tables will be attached to the wall if I separated the line the dimension would be wrong. and I am doing layout on autocad, that means i can't hid the line because it will create more problems. For example, if i turn the table then i have hide and un-hide the necessary line every time.

Guest AARi

_http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/Layers-order-bring-to-front-send-to-back/td-p/3328975

DRAWORDER

In your plotter properties (the button next to where you select you plotter, in the Device and Documents tab, under graphics. Your plotter may differ.), there is a control for lines merge. Turning that on should fix the problem.

um... RobDraw. Thanks. it solve the line problem but all my text mask print out black. I use AutoCAD's "DWG to PDF" to print. I also have wipeout issue with "adobe PDF" printer so I don't use it.

Adobe and wipeouts is a known issue.

I have no idea about the text mask. I do not get that. Is it possible you are using an assigned color for the background instead of using background color?

I'm using background color. just by the way. if you don't use text mask, how do you make the drawing look clean when putting notes on it? do you just trim away the line that is behind the text?

Most of the time I can avoid having text over lines. Also, our lineweights are also set up so that most of the background stuff is plotted thin and shaded so that it is acceptable to have some text on top of lines. It is still very readable. I think trimming stuff for text is unacceptable. I have recently started to use the background mask for text and have not had any of the issues I was having with wipeouts. It's not perfect but is quite effective which is saving me time because I don't have to be as creative in avoiding linework.