3D Block HELP PER FAVORE :)

Sophiaindesign

Hello everyone :) I use AutoCAD for mac 2013

I'm a interior design student and I have a question regarding editing 3D Blocks which can be downloaded from the web.

If I download a 'free' 3D Block, is it possible to edit the block in a way which removes the 'original origin' of that block?? I have tried exploding the block and redefining it in a wblock file and changing the layer. But I'm not sure if this process has removed the original information which it came from... Please could someone help me!!

If there is a way to remove the origin (that is came from the web) please let me know :sweat::book: my time to finish this project is running out :bomb::bomb::bomb:

So, basically you are asking us to help you trick your teacher showing him/her other's work as your assignment?!? In fact you are tricking yourself on long term.

Sadly for you, once inserted, the original block will be preserved in drawing. So, forget about this approach and start drawing those items by yourself!

I had just finished an explaination on how to move the base point when I re-read the request and realised I had missed the point totally. I agree with MSasu.

So, basically you are asking us to help you trick your teacher showing him/her other's work as your assignment?!? In fact you are tricking yourself on long term.

Sadly for you, once inserted, the original block will be preserved in drawing. So, forget about this approach and start drawing those items by yourself!

I can completely understand what you mean.

I love what I'm studying and quite frankly I am becoming very proficient at AutoCAD. The issue that I'm having which has resulted in me asking this question is because AutoCAD keeps crashing my file..I have run out of time to draw EVERYTHING from scratch. Its not that I'm trying to cheat because I don't know how to model...I just don't have time to model EVERY detail :cry: It was only to import a dining chair.

Thank you

I don't see why it could not be done. You downloaded a DWG file. That file can be edited and saved as a new file.

A quick test proves my point.

I don't see why it could not be done. You downloaded a DWG file. That file can be edited and saved as a new file.

Thats what I thought. But my lecturer is also a computer programer so he may have the knowledge to search the origin of the dwg block. (Thats what I was worried about) My lecturer expects more from me than any other student in the class because I have become more advanced than the others.... as a result I feel more stressed than the other students , he just always expects my work to be 'amazing' its causing me alot of pressure. However the original problem was because my files kept crashing and I had to keep 're' drawing details and thats why I have run out of time.

However I don't see why this is referred to as cheating? When I did my internship I was encouraged to use downloaded blocks for furniture details in a drawing. My close friend also studies masters in architecture who also uses furniture blocks already in cad libraries... didn't expect anyone to see this as cheating or offensive :unsure:

Well you asked if it could be done and I told it could. Whether or not any "deception" can be detected or whether your instructor will even bother to check I cannot say. The choice is yours.

Note that the block you downloaded will carry a creation date corresponding to the day it was downloaded and not the original creation date. If you were to open the original drawing, change the insertion point, then save it as a new drawing today then it would carry today's date as its creation date.

why not simply sayyou downloaded the block? if you're that good, and thatshort of time..... shows using appropriate methods according to the situation. it would be silly to re-create something thatwas already made - use your time on other stuff thatneeds it

i reckon drawings are a bit like text tho.....diff ppl havedifferent styles in subtle ways and make diff errors. if someone looked hardenough they would prob see they were most likely drawn by diff ppl.

perhaps you import a new layer or textstyle or summat along wivthe block.....

Given a classroom full of students how closely can a teacher look at each and every CAD drawing submitted? The last class I was in had 35 students. If the instructor spent 10 minutes per drawing that means he would have had to devote 350 minutes or 5.8 hours reviewing all the drawings. Some of our assignments had multiple drawings.

Note that the block you downloaded will carry a creation date corresponding to the day it was downloaded and not the original creation date. If you were to open the original drawing, change the insertion point, then save it as a new drawing today then it would carry today's date as its creation date.

Thats exactly the reason I was seeking some expertise because I knew that the drawing would carry information relating to the day it was modelled by the original creator. Changing the insertion point... is that the same as changing the 'base point' when recreating the block?? i.e. pick point > base point > create block

Let me reiterate. The downloaded block will NOT show the original date of creation. You can download a block (today) that was created in the year 2000 but it will not have that date listed in its Properties. Are we clear?

Changing the insertion point = changing the basepoint. Got it?