Custom linetypes

Hi,

I want to create a custom linetype for a drawing but am unsure of the best method to use. I only need this linetype for 1 drawing and so I would like it embedded in that drawing if possible. Other people may need access to this file so sending a custom file is out of the question.

Should I create a new .lin file or edit the default acad.lin?

I started to create one using Express Tools and when it prompted me to create / save a new .lin file it defaulted to the 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English' folder. I was unsure if to save it here or 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\UserDataCache\Support', where ACAD's .lin is stored.

Any idea's / help?

You should record that linetype definition into a LIN file and then use LTYPE command to load it into your template. Save and from this point whoever access a drawing based on that template will be able to use the said linetype. You don’t need to supply the LIN file along; may get rid of if you want.

Other solution will be to use an AutoLISP routine to add the definition directly into drawing’s database.