Trouble Understanding UCS

em3108

Hi everyone,

I have experience making 3D models in Vectorworks but have never used 3D in AutoCAD. I am using 2014 version. I understand the principle of UCS and the idea behind it but am really struggling to use it.

Currently I am trying to use two viewports, one in top view and one in front view.

I am trying to use the two to ensure I am placing objects in the correct place in relation to everything else. However...how comes when I move something up or down in front view it moves completely out of position in top view? surely if i'm moving the object up or down it should not effect the position of anything in top view? :oops:

Many Thanks

Probably your UCS is not set close to the object. Use UCS, Object, (or face, etc.) and pick on the object. Now try again.

Hi there, thank you for your response. I tried that...I either did it wrong or it didn't work. Do these images help?

before.jpg

before

after.jpg

after

It looks to me that your right hand viewport is not in plan view, but is slightly off. Then for that reason when you move the part from top to bottom (in your viewport) you are actually moving it down slightly (slightly been the amount your viewport is off plan). Try making a ucs by 'face' and select the top face of the nut.

I typed 'plan' in to the command box and tried again. Nothing. The tried to change the UCS...same thing happens. I just don't understand how moving something in front view up or down changes a single thing in top view. It shouldn't move at all. wahhh help! :(

Let's put this problem to rest quickly. Attach a copy of the actual DWG file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

This is a prime example of why I recommend working in an isometric view and using osnaps. You can actually see if what you are doing is correct or not.

It looks like running MidPoint and Quadrant ObjectSnaps. If a UCS planar restriction is required, set OSNAPZ = 1.

I see, I was only looking in the quick reply box. The 'paperclip' is only available in the advanced section.

I have been trying to upload the file for hours but it seems the file is to big! :( noooo!

Delete everything that is of no importance to the discussion at hand and do a "save as" to a new file name. Has the file size dropped enough to post it here? If not your only other options are to zip it or upload it to a file sharing site like Dropbox where anyone here can download it.

After getting rid of the extra stuff and doing a save as, right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.